Prologue ✔️

P R O L O G U E

AUDREY

"You can't do this to me." The feeling in my chest grew, fear cascaded my lungs as I tried to breathe, my mouth now parched. I tried to speak, but the silence is unbreakable. Questions filled my head, baffling me. Why is he forcing me to do something I don't want to do? I kept my hands on my lap as my head pounded. The warmth that creaked through the windows turned into bitter snow in the summer of New York.

Tick. Tock.

I felt nothing physically, but emotionally I felt everything.

"You don't have a choice."

"Who am I, Grandpa? Someone you can raise for seventeen years and then just send away?" I felt scared—terrified that I was going to lose her. Betrayed, I never thought that the one person I trusted the most in this world, would turn his back on me. Emotions ran through me, each one hitting me like a bulldozer.

"You have no choice, Audrey. There is no point in arguing with me," he slammed the folder down ferociously. The table shook, making me flinch. His forefinger and his thumb were rubbing in motions against his temple. He was feeling stressed, but not as much as he gave me.

"But, Grandpa," I begged. My eyes burned, tears were threatening to come loose. I felt trapped and incapable because he had control. He didn't care; the expression on his face said it all. I chewed on the skin inside my mouth out of habit and held my skirt tightly, waiting for his answer.

Tick. Tock.

"No," he pushed his glasses up with his tanned hand.

His white hair that toppled on his head had risen due to the tension. Dark brown eyes pierced right through me, daring me to continue.

Tick

"Grandpa, please just listen to m–"

"I said no, goddammit! Why don't you listen to me?" That was the last straw. He heaved a sigh, trying to control his anger.

"You have to marry him; you have no choice. Now leave." He gave me a stern look and gripped the folder he had put down.

"I just think that–" I tried again, even though I knew it wouldn't work.

"What did I say, Audriana? It's final! Now leave," he said and gave me the look. The look that told me that I should stop. I clenched my hands firmly, feeling my nails scrape against my skin. I sigh out of relief. I looked at my hands to see the marks against my hand and smiled, but the pain didn't last long. Don't even think about it; remember what happened last time. I thought. I raised my head to find his nose right against the file again.

"Just give me–"

"No, Audriana, this is final. You are getting married," I flinched at his tone. He had never spoken to me this way before.

Tock.

The tears finally let loose and ran down my distressed face; due to the anger imprisoned inside me. I felt helpless but, more importantly, powerless.

I can't marry my best friend's boyfriend.