Chapter Eight ✔️

"I am not your driver, sit in the front."

C H A P T E R    E I G H T

AUDREY

The sun shined, making me flinch, as it hit my face. The sound of my alarm going off frustrated me. Last night I couldn't sleep because of the fight Sarah and I had. I tossed and turned the whole night and eventually cried again. The person that you have been close to all your life, the idea of them hating you is the worst feeling anyone can imagine. I still had hope. I wasn't going to stop until I cleared this misunderstanding.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and looked at the time. Great, I still had an hour until school started.

I get up to get ready. I am eighteen now, legally an adult, and I don't think I ever celebrated my birthday after the age of eight. My grandpa and I used to go to my favorite place together and my parents would never show up no matter how long we waited. They have stood me up for multiple birthdays. My grandfather tried to reason with me and tell me that something might have came up and I'd believe him.

Grandpa would tell me that they were buying me a gift so then I'd get really excited. After we ate we would go home only to find my parents not there. I would sit in front of the window and would wait for hours for them to come home. I remember my grandpa would come to check on me ever so often with worry. Eventually, he would sit beside me and wait with me. I would then look up at him with my teary eyes asking him when they'll come home. I waited for five hours but they never came.

"Grandpa, I don't want a gift anymore. Can you just tell mommy and daddy to come home?" He called them and spoke in a different language. I couldn't understand but I knew that he was angry. He would hold me close to him as I cried myself to sleep. Ever since then, I never celebrated my birthday. I did wish for something every year and that was for my parents to love me. That one day, my parents would finally treat me the way they treat Rachel, my younger sister.

I made my way to the kitchen and turned the music on, knowing no one is home at this time. I whipped out my pan ready to make my favorite, chocolate chip pancakes. I tried to turn on the stove but it wasn't working.

"Really?" I groaned. After a couple of tries, it turned on and finally worked. I smiled happily and sang softly. Kylie has always told me that I have a good voice. I heard footsteps, turning around I found Connor staring at me.

I turned off the stove, and put the pan off to the side, but regretted it when it burned my hand. I hissed in pain, he grabbed my hand and shoved it underneath the faucet. I shut my eyes as I feel the cold water hit my skin.

What is he doing here?

His face showed no expression at all but his eyes showed that he's concerned.

"Where is the first aid kit?" He asked and when I didn't respond he dropped my hand, and I cried out in pain as it hit the cabinet. He watched me carefully as I held my hand.

"Why'd you do that!" I questioned. I shook my hand trying to get the pain to go away, but it wasn't. He stopped my hand by grabbing it with his own and held my hand gently. He dabbed the cotton ball harshly against my burn. I yelped and tried to get my hand away from him again, but he grabbed my hand back, stopping me.

He blowed on my burn trying to stop the pain, which put me at ease. Why is he being hot and cold. I can't tell if he's being nice or mean to me.

"Stop staring at me, what were you trying to make? I'll help you." I turned my head away, now embarrassed. I took a deep breath and looked back at him. He's wrapping my hand with gauze, with that, I cleared my throat and told him.