Chapter One ✔️

He can wait. I'm hungry, and I just want to eat. So, I do.

C H A P T E R   O N E

AUDREY

Manhattan, New York

"Get ready, Audrey. The guests are coming over," my mother yelled from the first floor. My body jolted. I picked up the phone that I had thrown on the floor and checked to see if it was okay. Wait, do I have to change? I looked at my reflection to see what was wrong with what I was wearing. I feel so comfortable right now, so why should I dress up? I was home, after all. I found that weird. If she wanted me to change, she could have told me beforehand. A heads-up would have been great.

Mothers. I rolled my eyes.

Groaning, I grab a new shirt. I look at myself in the mirror, the same plain dark brown eyes staring right back at me. Do I look pretty? Do I look disgusting? I wondered. I touched my stomach unconsciously as I stared at myself. I should change.

"Come downstairs, honey; they are here," she yelled out. I hurriedly got out of my room and made my way downstairs. Sighing, I ignored the dark thoughts; I tripped on the last step as I walked down the stairs. I closed my eyes, feeling the pain as I landed on my behind. Oh god, that hurt. Why can't I do anything right?

I looked up to see the guests staring at me, it was dead silent.

I divert my attention towards my parents, making me jerk back a little. I am so screwed they did not look happy.

Frightened, I look over at the guests to see them staring right at me or maybe something right behind me. Hoping that it was the latter, I hastily moved back. I shut my eyes and held my shirt tightly against my chest, feeling embarrassed now more than ever.

I hadn't even been here for five minutes, and I already managed to embarrass myself. I am going to get it tonight; I moved my head back and forth, trying to forget.

I wiped my shaking, sweaty hands on the side of my thighs and fixed my hair a little trying to look presentable. I took a deep breath and smiled.

I made my way inside the room. Everyone is talking. I pull my usual chair back, but my mother stops me. "Sit over there tonight. I will be sitting here," she says with a forced smile. She wanted me to sit down in her seat. The last time I sat down in her chair, she threw a tantrum, and when I tried to say something, it ended with a red handprint on my face.

A lady is sitting to my right, with a face that is familiar and hard to place. Trying to ease the awkwardness, I break the ice: "Hi."

That is enough socializing for today. Let's never do that again.

"Hello, Audrey," she said with a comforting smile that made me at ease. Of course, my mother had already told everyone my name.

"Oh, sorry, my apologies, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Lauren."

"Nice to meet you, Lauren," Her chocolate brown eyes bore into mine, giving me comfort.

There are three unfamiliar faces. I didn't know anyone, and I wasn't sure how to ask them who they were without being rude. As if my mother noticed my discomfort, she jumped in.

"Audrey, this is Steven. Lauren's husband," mother said as she motioned to the man sitting right beside my father. He nods his head, and so do I.

"And beside your grandfather is Jullian, he is Lauren's father," The older-looking guy sitting next to my grandfather smiled at me.

"And lastly, Lauren's mother Courtney," there are a lot of names, don't think I'll remember them all with my memory.

Everyone is smiling at me, besides Courtney. She gave me an unpleastent look. The smile that once was on my face faltered. I shifted in my chair, feeling uneasy. I did not have a good feeling about this.

"I got a text from him, he is on his way. Shall we start eating?" Steven said. Who is he? And why is my father genuinely smiling? He rarely smiled.

We start eating, and as I reach for my fork, the comforting smile-lady chimes in, "So, Audrey, what school do you go to?"

"I go to Aurora West Academy, ma'am," I said while stuffing the spicy noodles in my mouth. Hmm, my favorite.

She smiles again. "My son and daughter go there as well."

I respond in kind. "Really? Well, that's nice." I wonder what their names are, maybe I know them.

Luckily, I'm saved by the bell. Literally.

"Yea, you might know him. His name is–" before she could continue, someone cut her off.

"Sorry, we are late. We had a lacrosse game before dinner," a young man huffs out from the doorway behind me.

"Did you win?" my father asked.

The unfamiliar boy laughed and said, "Of course, sir."

I can't see the person talking from my chair, and I won't turn around because turning around is too much work. I still can't believe I'm on the track team. The effort you have to turn your whole body around is way too much. His tone doesn't sound urgent, and my mother is used to playing the perfect hostess. He can wait. I'm hungry, and I just want to eat. So, I do.

Someone kicks my leg. I dropped the fork I was holding, causing it to bang on the table, and looked at my mother.

"Ouch, what was that for?" I said as I rubbed my shin. I might have said that a bit too loud because my mother is furious.

I looked around to find everyone staring right at me.

"Go get two plates and cups," she whisper-yells.

Why do I have to get it? I look back at my food and then back at my mom, contemplating whether or not I should get up.

I stood up and, without looking, hit my head right into someone's chest, falling due to the impact. I grab onto their arm as they wrap their arms around my waist, securing me.

I look up at the person who is holding me. It was a boy; his bright blue eyes turned glacial blue. His plump cheeks and long eyelashes mocked my short ones. Thick eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Dirty blond-like hair topped his head like fluffy clouds. His lips are tight in a line. My hands were on his hard-muscled chest, and both his buttons were open on his white shirt. Causing my cheeks to flush red.

His breath fazed my forehead because he is taller than me. My heartbeat is fast from the contact. I squirmed out of his hold, still flustered, and looked up at him with wide eyes. My lips parted in shock as I stared at the boy in front of me.

"Connor?" I say in a shocked tone, not expecting him to respond.

He doesn't even know who I am.

Q/A: HOW'S THE FIRST CHAPTER?