Chapter Six ✔️

"Are you a new kid?"

C H A P T E R S I X

AUDREY

Before entering the living room. I glanced at the mirror in the hallway to find a sulky figure stuck behind the mirror. This won't do I thought. I shook my arms a couple of times, and tapped my cheeks, bringing warmth to match my red nose. I took a deep breath and smiled brightly, burying my tears beneath my eyes.

I can do this!

Looking around the room I try to spot my grandfather. I stifle in a smile, but couldn't, he is sitting on the rocking chair far away from everyone and on his phone. I remember those times when he would sit alone and I'd sit on his lap while waiting for my parents to come on my birthday every year. Until I realized that they would never come.

My smile dropped at the thought. This isn't the time. I need to talk to him.

I stood behind the rocking chair and tapped his left shoulder and I moved to the right so he couldn't see me. He shifted to his left and sighed in realization.

"After all these years, I never learn," laughing he turned to the right and smiled. I sat down on the rocking chair beside his, it creaked as I rocked the chair. The chair was untouched and broken. I've never questioned my grandfather about why there are two chairs and I didn't need to. You could see it in his eyes, he was waiting for someone, knowing that they weren't ever going to come.

"What's the matter?" He placed the mug on the small table in between the two chairs, turned his phone off, and sat up straight. Giving his full attention. The nerves were creeping back; I gripped my thighs tightly and asked, "How did you know that I needed to talk to you?"

"I could smell it from a mile away, you look restless, what happened?" He asked.

I have so many questions that I wanted to ask him but didn't know where to start. Should I ask him why I am getting married? How did this happen? Who set this marriage up? And why no one decided to ask me if I wanted to get married or not.

I opened my mouth but closed it once I felt a powerful presence behind me giving me an ominous feeling. I shuddered, afraid to turn around.

"Hello, dear." Mr. Black said as he stood in between the two rocking chairs whilst holding a white mug. The difference between my grandfather and him, were their auras. My grandfather who whore a plaid sweater with khakis gave me a warm feeling, while Mr. Black intimidated me. He had a white suit on and it gave anything but an angelic aura. He hadn't done or said anything, but I knew better than to mess with him or say anything against him. His smile wasn't comforting at all and I knew that I shouldn't be quick to judge but I couldn't help it.

"Hello, Mr. Black," I said formally still uneasy to call him Jullian, after the Courtney situation.

"Call me Jullian or even better call me grandpa since we are practically family," he smiled. I nodded uncomfortably and got up motioning him that he could sit on the rocking chair and he did.

"You, my dear, are the right girl for Connor, and I hope I can have a granddaughter or grandson soon." My cheeks burned in embarrassment as they both laughed. My grandpa stopped and smiled at me unsurely, probably noticing how uncomfortable I was. I looked at him but his attention was on Jullian, maybe I should discuss this after they all leave.

"Excuse me, I need something to drink," with that I made my way towards the kitchen to see the three chickmunks Connor, Ryder, and Chloe standing by the kitchen table. Ignoring them I made my way towards the fridge and grabbed the jug of water.