Chapter Three ✔️

"Sorry, I just can't stand clowns who are practically a joke themselves."

C H A P T E R   T H R E E

AUDREY

I look down at my plate, trying to get rid of the underlying attention on me. I could hear my parents laughing hysterically from the other side of the dining table while I was trying to hide away from the awkwardness.

"So, your name is Audrey...right?" I look up to see Courtney staring at me. Even though her hair is a grayish-white color, she still manages to look classy and young. Her pearl necklace hung from her neck as she wore an elegant blue dress. Her dark deadly, brown eyes stared right into my own. The look that she gave me didn't seem like she was fond of me.

I could hear everyone's conversation in the background. I felt the cold breeze brushing on my face giving me goosebumps. Even the wind was mocking me, giving pity as if it knew that this would happen. This lady will destroy the small amount of self-confidence I have with a couple of words.

"Yes, that's my name." I rub my hand down my thigh breathing slowly. Counting to ten, I gave her a bittersweet smile. I look away to see Kylie, she's still nervous, more than me, and the lady isn't even talking to her.

I thought might have been because she is worried about me, but it seemed like something else.

"Tell me about yourself," the way she smiled wasn't comforting at all.

"Like what?" I felt someone's hand against mine. I look down to see my hand holding Connor's. His soft, delicate hands roughly take mine away from his. I put my left hand underneath my left thigh to set it in place. My cheeks blaze in discomfort, and I look away.

"What school do you go to?" She took a sip of wine, never breaking eye contact. I could feel the heat all over my body as I held onto my leg. I felt terrified, and I could tell that this isn't going to end well.

"Aurora West Academy, Courtney," I emphasized each word slowly, not sure if I should call her Courtney or not. I felt the air shift. Ryder, Connor, and Chloe had stopped talking. I didn't break eye contact with her, and I acted as if I hadn't noticed it. I took a piece of chicken in front of me and placed it on my plate.

"My grandson and granddaughter go to the same school. Isn't that right, Connor and Chloe? And they are in the same grade as you. If I'm not wrong, you will be a senior, right?" I nodded. She's smiling; maybe she isn't that bad after all.

Everyone knew them, but I don't think they could say the same.

"Call me ma'am. I only allow people that I like, call me Courtney. Anyway, what are your hobbies?" She put her fork down and clasped her hands together. The smile that was once on my face had dropped into a thin line. Ouch.

"Sports, I like to play and watch." I liked to play all types of sports, and I was on the team for a couple of them until my sophomore year. After that, I never went back after the incident.

"You don't seem like the type of person who would play sports," she said and looked at me surprised. She glanced at my body and then looked at me. I froze when she made eye contact. Why would she be surprised? Why does she think that?

"Sports? You must be warming up the bench, huh?" she said as she laughed.

"No, um actually I was a starter fo-" she cut me off. I stared at her confused. What is going on?

"Oh, you were, figures, are you planning to go back?"

"Uh-" She cuts me off again. And this time, the courage to speak again seemed quite hard.