Chapter Five ✔️

"My heart slightly pained at the sight and I stood there wondering why."

C H A P T E R   F I V E

CONNOR

"For what?" She asked while looking at her mother.

All I saw was fire. "For what?" Her acting oblivious and terrified almost made me think that maybe she was telling the truth, but it all disappeared when they sealed the marriage.

How foolish of me to think that scaring her would change her decision about the marriage. The thought of her wanting to marry me made me furious. Being "oblivious" is all part of her act, and will not let her get away with it. I'm going to make her regret saying yes to this marriage.

I said no to this marriage but I had no choice but to say yes because if she finds out it will break her. My parents don't know that I know the truth and that I signed a contract with my grandfather. Ensuring, that he would not tell her. If I told my parents everything would come out to the open and it will break her. It's fucked up that grandfather would use that against me, since she also meant something to him.

I'll never forgive him for this.

I wasn't sure what I was going to tell Sarah.

I couldn't let this girl I'd known for almost an hour ruin what Sarah and I had. We hid our relationship for the past three years because of my grandfather. No one knows, not even our friends. Just when I was going to introduce Sarah to my grandfather he brought this shit up.

I glared at her hoping that she would just disappear into thin air.

She brushed her long carmel brown hair that hung down to her slim waist over her shoulders. Her plump lips, her thick eyebrows furrowed in distress when her mother said something to her. Her delicate, dark brown eyes wandered everywhere as if she was looking for a way out, but stopped looking once they met mine. Tears clouded her eyes. Grandma, did take it far when she said all those things. Although, I am upset with her it isn't okay.

She looked hurt. Did she really not know about this marriage? She rushed out of the room, bumping into me and made her way upstairs stumbling along the way. Shortly after, Kylie went after her.

"Go see if she is okay," Grandpa said while smiling. I nodded. Why do I have to go if her cousin went upstairs. I wish I could slam his head against the fucking table. Sighing, I walk up the stairs only to be lost. There were so many doors, where could she be. Her room? Bathroom?

I push the bathroom door open to find no one in there. I heard voices nearby, with the best of my ability I walk towards the voices.

I found a room, from where the voices were coming from. The door was ajar, so I could see Audrey sitting on the floor crying as Kylie tried to console her.

"Audrey-"

"I'm fine," Audrey whispered.

She didn't look okay, she continuously cried as she tried to smile at Kylie.

But as if she flipped like a switch she stopped crying. The room is dead silent. Her eyes widedened and she quickly stood up, catching me by surprise. Did she see me? I don't think she did but I'm not taking the chance; I should leave.

The adrenaline kicked in and I stood up. My eyes widened in realization. I jerked back at her outburst.

"I'm marrying Connor... Sarah's boyfriend," Audrey said.

"Sarah and Connor are dating?" Kylie asked in shock.

I stopped walking and turned around. My heartbeat now fast. How does she know that Sarah and I are dating. No one knew that.

"No, no, no, I can't- I have to stop this marriage at all costs," Audrey said.

How does she know. I took another step forward only to step on something making a sound, "Oh god, I need to say-" Kylie placed her finger against her lips and told her to stop talking.

"I think someone is by the door; I heard something," Kylie whispered, but I still heard what she said. I made my way towards the bathroom and shoved myself in forgetting to close the door.

Of course this is happening to me,

"No one's there," Kylie said.

"I think we should go downstairs. They are probably wondering where we are, but before that I have to use the bathroom." I look around to see where I should hide. Finally, I decided to walk toward the shower curtain and hide behind it. I covered my mouth as my breathing got heavier. I moved the shower curtain a little, enough for me to see them but not enough for them to see me.

"Are you-"

"I'm fine; just go!" Audrey chirped. She shoved Kylie towards the stairs and I shuffled a bit to the left just to be safe. Why is she happy? Wasn't she crying two minutes ago? What is going on in her head I can't seem to understand her. I heard her lock the door and just stand there. What is she doing? I thought. I put my ear against the curtain to listen to what she was doing. I hope she will not use the bathroom because that isn't a sight I want to see.

A loud thud causes me to jump up, making me hit my head against this cement-like- bar soap holder. I held my hand against my head and covered my mouth, trying not to make any noise. Ah fuck just my luck.

I moved the curtain a little to see what is happening. She is sitting on the floor while pulling her hair. Talk about hair damage. The pain on my head is unbearable.

"I've done everything that she asked me to do. What else does she want from me? What will I have to do to satisfy her?" She burst out crying and threw her head against the wall giving her some support. She held her hand tightly against her chest, hitting it while she sobbed.

My frustration about the marriage had clouded my eyes, blinding me. I balled my fists and looked down, now feeling guilty.

A phone rang, and I checked my pocket to see if it was mine, but it wasn't. Thank god, it wasn't mine. Audrey wiped her tears, then smiles as she pickes up call.

"Hey... I miss you...did you have fun, at least?... that's good I'll come over tonight when you come back...no, I'm okay. Okay. Bye." Who was she talking to? She turned the water on and splashed her face a couple of times and dried herself up. Turning the water off, she stood in front of the mirror for a moment and looked at herself. She smiled at the sight of her reflection and I knew for a fac that her smile and eyes did not quite match.

"Courtney is right. I need help," she said ever so softly. She brushed her hair through her fingers quickly. She gave one deep breath and walked out.

My heart pained at the sight and I was starting to know why. 

Q/A: DO YOU LIKE CONNOR?