Thirty Four

I entered the room with four other students that were apparently valedictorians and will have their own speeches. "Ok so this is the plan," the older staff member said. She ran through how things would be happening and when and where we were going to have our speeches. She told us the order and lucky me, I'm last to give my speech. Whatever, save the best for last. We took 5 more minutes running through what the plan was, but all I could think about was how I was not going to mess this up. There would be no where to hide if I fucked this one up.

And just like that, the ceremony is starting. The first four graduates and myself walked out first. All the graduates were walking out of the tunnels in a nice, organized matter with music playing. The crowd full of parents and siblings erupted and I felt like I've never had so many eyeballs on me at once. We made laps around the set up chairs before all of us taking a seat. So many people to make my speech in front of. When we took a seat, I scanned around my surroundings looking for a specific two people. I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I just waited until I got up on the podium to speak.

After everybody sat down, and the principal of our school made their speeches and introduced the audience to this event. The thought of me publicly speaking had me shake in my shoes. I was super nervous and my heart was beating at 1,000 mph. Who knows? Maybe tonight could end up being the greatest night of my life. The first three graduates mad their speeches and the fourth one was finishing up. "-thank you guys so much!" she said and a round of applause filled the air.

"Ok our last valedictorian of the night, Y/F/N Y/L/N!" I heard the clapping for me and I was astonished by how 95% of the people here don't even know me, but are clapping for me. I made my way up to the podium and stood there. I scanned my eyes around the building to look for four different people: Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Bartholomew, and my mom. I found my mom in the stands and we waved at each other from the distance. I saw my other family next to her and waved to them as well. I realized I was spending way too much time on the podium without saying a word.

"G-good evening s-students, p-parents, staff, and family of (Your High school name) . My name is Y-Y/f/n y/l/n and I want to say a f-few words while I have the platform to," I kept looking for the three other people as this speech continued. My body was swaying back and forth while this presentation went on. "Throughout these four years, it's been a rollercoaster ride. So many climaxes and drops to the point that I can write a story about may life," Ok not really. I continued with my speech and I finally found Barry. I finished my sentence and made sure Barry got noticed, "Bartholomew Allen, is one of my best friends. He's helped me with my life socially and academically, even though I'm smarter," I heard the audience laugh. I finished my thought about Barry and I finally found Camila and Ariana sitting near each other. I locked eyes with both of them before taking a deep breath and speaking.

"Lastly, one of the best things to happened to you in life or high school is love. Whether it's love for a subject, sport, or someone else. And it's that last one I want to focus on. Raise your hand in this building if you've fallen in love with someone in high school before," I pulled away from the microphone and I saw tons of hands raise. From both the students and the crowd. "I bring this up because when we leave this building tonight, there is nothing more important than the person/thing you love the most. Chase after your dreams, chase after that boy or girl you've liked for years. It will pay off, and you'll enjoy it. Just be sure when you do accomplish it, you close your eyes and enjoy every single moment of it. Trust me, never take it for granted," I looked at Camila and she stared back at me. "And if you haven't found a love yet, you will. I promise," then I changed my sight to Ariana and like Camila, stared intensely at me.

I brought up the topic of 'love' in my speech because it's something that lots of high schoolers want. Including me, even though it's just teenage love. Stupid, meaningless love, it means a lot to a lot of people in high school. To be able to talk about nothing with someone that means something to you. I've had a hint of that feeling and I wanted to include everyone in that building that didn't raise their hand when I asked the question. "Thank you all for coming out to watch us graduate and let the future hold nothing but success!" I concluded my speech and the crowd got up to cheer. "Oh, and hi Mom!" I squeezed into my speech. The applause got louder and louder and I made my way back to my seat. It was time for names.

In case you haven't noticed, Barry was the only name I included into my speech. Only because he's been with me since day one. Ariana and Camila will probably only be part of my life for a little bit after high school even though I don't want it to be.

Not going to lie, this was the most boring part of the event. Having to wait for hundred of names to be called when you really only care about five different names.

--

"That was beautiful," Camila said to be backstage.

"Thanks," I said.

"But you didn't give me a shoutout," she pouted.

"I know, and I'm sorry. But if it makes you feel any better, I didn't include Ariana's either so you wouldn't get jealous"

"Could I ask why?"

"I'd rather not"

"Tell me," she demanded.

I let out a long sigh, "Because Camila, what if after a little while from now, we never see each other again. I don't want it to happen, but it's reality Camila"

"It doesn't have to be reality," she said getting closer. I didn't speak. But she was right, I acted like for sure we would never see each other again. She leaned in for a kiss and we did. No one was around so we could get a little more heated, but we weren't dating so I parted my lips from hers. "I liked that," she said.

"I did too, but you know what I'm gonna say"

"You're into it?" she joked. I was into it, but that wasn't the answer I was initially thinking.

"No. Ariana is still in the race just as much as you are," I said.

"Speaking of," Camila said, pulling away from me. Ariana walked around the corner and hugged me tight.

"You did so amazing!" she said hyper.

"Thanks Ari," I said to her still hugging with my head resting on her shoulders.

"I'm gonna go find my parents, I'll see you guys later," Camila said and walked away. Ariana and I both said our goodbyes and continued talking to each other.

"Sooo?" she said inching closer and closer to my person.

"What?"

"Have you decided yet?" she asked. I didn't know what to say, I really did like Ariana and she was my first love.

"No," I gave her a quick answer.

"I'm growing impatient," Ari whined. "Please just give me an answer," she put her hand on my cheek and caressed it with her thumb. "I miss our dates, our time together," she reminded me of so many memories that paralyzed me from moving. "I know you have feelings for Camila, but I know your feelings for me are much greater," she was right. I loved Ariana, I never loved Camila. I only liked her for a couple of months in middle school and that crush seemed to fade over the years and it finally came back this year and nothing transpired between us. Fuck it.

I took Ariana's hands off my face and I put my hands on her face and leaned in for a long, passionate kiss. I pulled away after a couple seconds so we can both catch our breath. I looked around to see no one was here, "Is that a 'yes'?" she asked.

"You tell me," I said and initiated another long kiss. This one was more intense and I groped her ass while we kissed. We pulled away at the same time and I looked at her. "Yes"