thirteen

"Ally, come on. We're gonna be late," Austin sighs out through the house as he hurries to their room. "I can't t miss another dinner. The girls are even dressed before-.... oh."

He finds her grabbing her purse from off her vanity, but the dress she wore just made her look amazing. They hadn't went out to a fancy dinner for almost two years, and this was the girls' first. He understood her nervousness but she had to remember he's her backbone and that he'll protect her and the girls no matter what.

"Tongue tied?" Ally smiles, coming towards him at the door and pecking his lips. "C'mon, we're gonna be late."

She tries to walk past him, but Austin grabs her hip to stop her. He pushes her against the hallway wall and grins. "Okay, we can be a little late-"

Ally laughs and shakes her head. "After. I'd usually agree, but we have kids now. And kids catching us isn't something I want."

Austin groans and lets her go, through hugs her stomach as they walk to the front of the house. "You are carrying my baby while looking edible. I'm almost willing to risk the consequences."

Ally laughs and pushes him off. "I'm not; let's go."

They get to the front door, where the girls are sitting on the couch with their pretty dresses on, watching videos on their tablets. Sierra is sitting on the closest couch, napping quite peacefully.

"C'mon girls." Ally announces, walking over to grab Kayla's jacket and handing to her while Austin does the same with Kya's.

"Have fun," Sierra croaks, curling up into a ball. "Bring me back some strawberry cheesecake."

Austin goes over to throw a blanket over her and ruffle her hair. "Gotcha. Text me if you want anything else."

//

"Welcome Mr. Moon!" The nice woman greets him kindly. She sees the kids behind him and grins happily. "Aw, are these your children?"

"Yes, this Kya and Kayla," Austin grins, helping the little girls sit in their seats. "My wife was just behind them, but I guess she had to use the restroom."

The young woman grins in awe, clasping her hands. "I had no idea you were married. That's so cute!"

Austin raises an eyebrow but chuckles lightly and nods. "You could say that."

Ally returns a moment later while Austin is helping the girls out of their coats. "Oh, I'm sorry. I had to use the restroom really quick."

"It's fine, really," the woman grins, reaching over to shake Ally's hand. Austin helps Ally out of her coat and they all sit for a calm meal.

Austin observes that his own client seemed more invested in Ally than himself, seeing she was engaged in a long yet enjoyable one while the girls were talking to eat other about whatever five year olds found interest.

He receives a phone call and looks down to see it's Sierra. Austin excuses himself and moves from the table, instantly answering, "Hello?"

"I think my water just broke and no one's here," Sierra sighs out on the other end, making Austin's eyes widen a bit. "If you guys aren't done with dinner, I can take care of myself for a while, but can you try to get a hold of Matt because he's not answering me."

"We'll be there in like fourty-five minutes," Austin says back, running a hand through his hair. "I'll try to get Matt."

Austin hangs up and comes back to the table, looking in a slight panic. "Um, we have an emergency at home, Ms. Carter, so we have to leave early."