sixteen

"Holy moly," a voice says while the seven family members were eating breakfast. "Austin said he upgraded, but man."

Ally turns from pouring her cup of tea and grins as she sees her sort-of best friend. "Sierra! You're back!"

"Mom!" Alex exclaims, running out of his chair to hug his mom.

Sierra grins and picks up her son, kissing him all over. "Hey, monster. You been having fun without me?"

He nods and grins. "You should see me and Ella's playroom! It's huge!"

"I'll look at it with you after you guys finish breakfast," she grins and kisses his cheek then puts him down. "Go finish eating."

Alex nods and does what he's told. Sierra goes to Ally and hugs her friend. "Can you make me some tea, too?"

"Already on it," she grins, boiling the water once more. "How was your trip to... China, was it?"

Sierra nods and sighs in content. "It was amazing. I learned so much about the cultures there and it helped me really embrace my intelligence with their relaxing forms of exercise," she tells with a grin. "I missed my Alex, though, so I'm glad to be back and happy that I'm not leaving for a while. Hope you're not pregnant again."

Ally gives her a look and Austin pops out from the side of her, chewing on a waffle. "We're not rabbits."

"I'm not convinced of that," Sierra laughs and hugs Austin. "I missed everyone so much. I just wanna snuggle with Alex for hours."

"Mom, Wallie is throwing his food," Ella speaks with her calm voice as she licks the berry baby smoothly off her face. "Can I have some mushed berries too? This is good."

Alex reaches over and grabs some off her nose and sticks it in his mouth. He nods and looks at his aunt in law. "Me too!"

"They've gotten closer, I see," Sierra laughs, leaning on her hip.

Ally nods and rolls her eyes playfully. "Yeah. Those two are connected at the hip."

"If they weren't five, I'd be suspicious." Austin says, making the two women roll their eyes at him.

Kayla rolls her eyes at her sister and Alex. "That's gross."

Alex frowns so Ella blows a raspberry at her older sister.

"Ella is spitting at the table!" Kayla exclaims.

"No I'm not!"

Ally rolls her eyes. "Why do you guys argue so much?"

"Because she's gross!" Kayla exclaims. "Why was she ever born?"

Ella frowns at that. It's Alex's turn to blow a raspberry. Ella giggles and hugs his side tightly, to which Alex grins proudly at.

"Okay, that last line was a little too far," Austin scolds Kayla, making her glare at him. "I don't like your attitude as of late, so after school you get to train by yourself with your instructor."

Kayla rolls her eyes and gets up from her seat, stomping to her room.

Ally sighs and goes to clean Wallie. "El, go wash your face and get ready for school."

"Okay." Ella agrees with no argument and gets down from her chair to run to the closest bathroom.

"That's our only kid left who doesn't argue," Austin says, giving Kya a look as she finished her cereal.

Kya sees and looks up with a confused face. "What? I didn't do anything this morning."

Austin hums then nods. "Good point. Now go get ready for school."

Kya does as she's told with no trouble also. "Whatever."

Austin's phone beeps and he checks it, seeing a message. "I have a job after work. Tom says he needs some insight on some company downtown."

Ally leans on her hip. "But it's your night to watch Wallie."

Austin smirks. "Whoops."

"It's okay," Ally shrugs and goes to grab her wiggling son in his high chair. She lifts him up and peppers him with kisses. "Daddy gets to sleep on the couch without mommy."

"Oh, I am not getting the couch treatment," Austin raises his eyebrow and leans on his hip. "No way."

"Wanna bet?"

"For sure. Loser changes the diapers for a week."

"Sure," Ally agrees, kissing Wallie's face. "Ugh, you need a bath already. You're sticky. We'll have a bath night tonight."

Wallie squeals and grabs her face, making Ally grin. "You're so cute."

Kya and Kayla submerge from the hall together and head to the car without any word. Austin raises an eyebrow and points to the girls. "What's up with them?"

"When Kayla's mad, Kya's mad," Ally says, placing Wallie down in car seat. "Ella, come on! I have to be at work!"

"Here I am!" She exclaims happily as she runs to her mother.

Ally grabs her hand and walks to the counter to grab the keys. "Austin, could grab Wallie?"

"On it," he says and walks out with her to the car with Wallie swinging and giggling in his seat. "You are getting heavy, little man."

"Don't forget to get Wallie from my parents house at 2," Ally says to her husband. She lightly kisses him then gets inside. "See you tonight."

"See you guys. Love you," Austin says to all his children before going back into the house. Sierra is coming back down from the upstairs once he reaches the kitchen. "Like it?"

"I love it," she chuckles, taking a seat at the counter. "I miss living with you all. It feels like I haven't been here in years."

Austin chuckles and leans next to her spot. "So how are you and Matthew doing?"

Sierra raises an eyebrow but then sighs with a shrug. "We're... on talking terms? I don't know. I know he hasn't seen his son in a while longer than me though, so I'd appreciate if he took a visit here."

Austin nods and goes to the fridge. "I'm kind of sad you guys didn't work out."

Sierra shrugs. "You warned us," she sighs and leans on her elbow. "But how are you and Ally?"

Austin raises an eyebrow as he pulls out a bottled water. "We're great. Why do you ask?"

"Anymore children soon?"

Austin chuckles and rolls his eyes. "We seem to only have a baby every five years, so I'll let you know in four and a half years from now."

The both of them laugh. "You guys make me want to have another kid, but I will not go through the pregnancy process again and I love my Alex, so I think that will always be just a thought in my head."

He grins. "Never know."