twenty-four

April 29th at 5:09ppm.

Austin learns that Ally has miscarriaged.

She was only seven weeks into her pregnancy, but it breaks her. None of kids understood, but he was sure they knew something was wrong. Ally cries for the remainder of the day, and Sierra tells him to give her a few hours.

Austin sighs and lies on the floor of the living room. His family was really going through hell. And there was nothing he could-

There's suddenly a 6 month old baby sitting on his stomach. He looks down and raises an eyebrow. "Where'd you even come from, little man?"

He squeals and picks at the strings on his father's shirt while blowing spit bubbles. Wallie was great. His first boy, and the happiest baby he's ever known.

Austin sits up and grabs Wallie. Wallie grins toothlessly and reaches forward to grab Austin's hair. He laughs and stands with Wallie in his embrace. "Let's go talk to mommy."

"Bom-by." He bubbles out, grabbing on to Austin's nose.

Austin laughs and moves his hand. "It's close enough."

They go to the bedroom and see Ally lying on the bed, completely submerged under the covers. Austin places Wallie on the bed and waits for him to crawl up to his mother. He squeals and softly hits the lump of cover that was her head.

He can hear her sigh before removing the cover from her head. She looks at him, then Wallie with a light smile. "Hey, baby."

Austin sits right next to her and caresses the side of her face. "You okay?"

Ally grabs Wallie and sits him on her chest, then sighs. "I don't know," she looks at him, and her eyes well up. "I-I never even made a connection with the baby. I mean, I just found out a little over a week ago. I don't know why exactly I'm so sad about it."

"Because regardless of how long it was, it was still our baby," Austin sighs and reaches down to grab her hand. "It's probably the hormones catching up, too."

She gives a small smile before looking at her son and watching him play balancing his big head to sit up. She sighs then sets him aside to sit up. Ally looks at Austin and he can see the tears welling up in her eyes. "Is... is it bad that I'm... like, a very small part of me... is relieved?"

"Why are you relieved?" Austin questions with a raise of his eyebrows.

Ally sighs and looks back at her son. "Yesterday was horrid," she speaks in a quiet voice. "Alex had a gun to his head. Kya got shot. Even though the bullet just barely hit her, all I can imagine is that bullet going through her. We weren't even there for an entire day, Austin. It made me realize I could lose any of you at anytime and that's scary as heck."

Austin nods and reaches forward to wipe the flowing tears. "I know. Last night was the first time in a long time I was actually scared. Like, I had every single bad feeling in gut and that's never happened," he sighs. "That's why I'm deciding to leave the field."

Her head pops up and eyebrow irks as fast as he could consume. "What?"

Austin blows out a breath and stands. "After I met you, I gave myself three strikes of danger you would endure. Strike one, direct threats to me about you. That has happened many times, and also with twins. Strike two, attempt of kidnapping. That's happened to you a few times. And strike three, escaping death. That was last night. Had Eleanor not came when she did, someone would've died. I can't just forget that happened, because it did and it's not okay."

"Austin, you don't have to-"

"Yes I do," Austin sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I'm not about to make you all risk your lives again because of a lifestyle I dragged you all into."

Ally frowns and stares up at him. She sighs and shakes her head. "Austin, you leaving the field is all I ever wanted. So you could be safe and this family could be normal-"

"Then why are you trying to stop me?"

"It took me some realization that this family will never be normal," she says, standing as she stared into his hazel eyes. "You can stop being a spy or agent or whatever all you want, but that's not gonna stop the fact that people are calling for your blood and money. They're gonna search and search and search, like they are now. It's no different. I didn't marry and have four kids with you so you could just fuck up my life then throw it all away."

Austin stares at his small spouse. For some reason, a smirk grows on his face as he leans on his hip. "You are just so persistent in letting me know that I ruined your life, huh?"

She laughs for the first time in about two days as he embraces her small body. "Mhm," she murmurs as he leans down to plant a soft kiss on her lips. "You ruined it in the best way possible."

They disconnect from sound of a thump. Ally gasps and pushes Austin, running towards the baby that was no longer on the bed. Only, she looks on the other side of the bed and sees Wallie had landed on his back and safely on some of the covers that flowed off the bed.

Wallie starts to laugh, which makes Austin, who hadn't moved still, click his teeth. "See, i was waiting for the laugh."

Ally glares and reaches down to grab the silly baby. "You are so troublesome."

-

"Is Ally doing any better?" Matt asks the next morning while sipping on coffee.

Austin grabs a bottled water from the fridge and nods. "She's doing a lot better. Even though we lost the baby, I think we're both more glad it happened early into her pregnancy. She's just cramping bad."

Matthew nods and scratches his head, then goes into a morning stretch. "Yeah, well, that incident threw Sierra off the whole 'I want another baby' thing, so I'm thankful a bit."

Austin rolls his eyes, but then eyes him for a moment. "Why does it matter to you if she wants another baby or not?"

"Man, you know I love her still," Matthew starts, shaking his head at the amusement on his face. "Don't act surprised. But we've been on really good terms lately. She even kissed me last night. Don't think she's ready for us to get back together, though."

"Just wait on it. And don't fuck up this time, ya hear?"

Matthew laughs lightly and agrees in a nod before they hear pattling feet. But the feet were pattling too fast, so they know it's not Wallie.

Alex and Ella enter the room. They both slide in the room with their slippers on. Alex stops in the middle of room, but Ella crashes into him, sending them both to the floor with loud laughing.

"A hundred bucks they'll date at least once in like ten years," Matthew chuckles, holding his out. Austin looks and glares at him. "C'mon."

"No." Austin says, glaring at his friend.