33 • Serendipities

•| requested |•

I never intended this to be this long lmao but it still makes up for my inactiveness hehe

●•●•●•●•●•●•●

I groggily sit up, blinking my eyes to adjust to the sunlight as it passed through the window. The digits on my clock on my bedside table flashes 7:45 in red. The curtains on the window flow freely as a small gust of wind enter the room.

I look at the circled date on the calendar on my far left.

February 3.

Right next to the date is a cake drawn in red pen by my little brother.

I sigh. I never really looked forward to my birthdays. They never really were exciting. I didn't get what was so wonderful and happy about the day you existed in this world. It's just a normal day wherein you add one year to your age. I still can't understand why we celebrate it. It's just one year closer to our death.

And today, is supposed to be my birthday. Yay me. I'm getting older.

"Happy birthday to me," I sigh heavily, plopping on the bed. I try to continue sleeping but when I knew that I couldn't anymore, I sit back up again. "Wow, I'm old already."

I chuckle to myself.

My phone lights up with a text message on the table so I grab it.

Bongbongie
Yah Y/N you coming to my cafe?

Me
Yeah, be there on a sec

I text back and get prepared. Jaehyun would certainly wait for me there, and would probably make a fit the next time we meet if I don't, so it's better to follow what he likes.

Jaehyun and I have been friends for a year now, and when he started working part time in this cafe, he never failed to always invite me and chit chat with me whenever his shift is over.

Jaehyun actually promised me something for today, for my birthday, so I actually need to go there to not let him down.

The bell dings as I enter the cafe, the sweet aroma of brewed coffee and tea attacking my nostrils.

I instantly hear the lyrics 'How I long for you, let's go talk to her' blaring on the speakers of the cafe and I chuckle to myself. I guess they're playing Jaehyun's favorite playlist.

The place is packed. It's a weird sight, since usually when I come in, there aren't a lot of customers inside. The workers all have exhaustion painted on their faces, but the cheerful smiles pasted on their lips overpowers it. All the customers are joyful too, which made me smile a bit in this boring birthday of mine.

Jaehyun instantly looks up and his face brightens when he sees my familiar face. I near the cashier and scan the menu above him, trying to search for something new to try today. I mean I should at least try and be happy this day.

"The birthday girl is here," Jaehyun chuckles as I arrive. "Want something? The usual?"

I shake my head. "Let's try something new today...hmmm...what about a frappe? I've never tried one..."

"Oh wow, I thought you didn't like sweet things. I guess I didn't know much about you." Jaehyun then skims the menu for something. "What about that one? I'm sure you'd like it."

I get the wallet from my purse and give him the money. "Ehh, whatever. Let's go with it, I trust you enough."

As he makes the frappe, I try to search for a vacant table for me to sit on as I move to the side so the next person can order.