One.

Monday, October 12, 1987
Apple Valley Preparatory School

Mia's POV

"Are you guys sure about this?" I asked my parents

"Are you guys sure about this?" I asked my parents. We entered through the doors of Apple Valley Prep, located in of course, Apple Valley Minnesota.

"Mia you're going to be fine. We've talked about this for awhile now." My mom Adina assured.

I glanced over at my father Lucas and rolled my eyes.

My mood was bad and my attitude was even worse. I wanted to go back home.

Originally my family and I moved from Missouri, all because my parents felt a need for change.

How could anyone make such big decisions without considering the feelings of another who would have to move as well?

I was pissed, BEYOND pissed.

Although my parents had some friends  around, I didn't know anyone and nor was I open to the idea of getting to know new people. The concept never sat right with me. Everything I did back in Missouri was now a distant memory.

Walking into the front office, my mother began to speak.

"Hello." The secretary greeted.

"Hi. My name is Adina Patterson-Martinez. This is my husband Lucas, and our daughter Mia. It's her first day."

"It's so lovely to meet you all, I'm Mrs. Newman."

"Mhm." My eyes rolled once more as I turned my nose up.

"Ahh... does Mia have her schedule yet?"

"No, could you please let us have a copy?" Lucas asked.

"Just a moment, you all can have a seat and I will be back with you shortly." Mrs. Newman smiled.

"Wipe that damn look off of your face or I'll do it for you." Adina snapped through a whisper as we sat. "Have you lost your mind? Do you want to get kicked out on your first day?"

Breathing heavily, I scooted back unto the chair and crossed my legs. It didn't matter how mad I was, when Adina told me to do something, I did it. Always seeming angelic with her chocolate coated skin and hazel eyes, looks could definitely fool considering if you made her angry enough, she'd slice you in two.

"Mami your mother is right." Lucas grinned. This is a very good school and we're paying lots of moolah to have you here, don't be foolish."

Staring across at my father's brown eyes and caramel skin, I thought to myself how badly I wanted to snatch that thick, black ass mustache right off of his face. But soon my thoughts were ended as Mrs. Newman came back.

"Pardon me but Ms. Kendrick would like to see you for a few. She is Mia's newly assigned counselor."

**