Twenty.

Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Prince's POV

The room's door constantly swung open and closed. The number of footsteps increased by the seconds as doctors and nurses travelled the hallway. An aroma of freshly brewed coffee slipped in, triggering a deep growl of hunger, but God knows I didn't have the strength to satisfy. Voices chattering and head pounding, finding a corner my back was supported. But despite the ongoing cacophony, I managed to focus on the dripping provided by the IV going into her vein.

Fingertips to my temples, the massaging didn't seem to ease any of the throbbing, while the scene around me continued and I wished I had no role in it.

A prayer was said to myself for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"Mr. Nelson? Mr. Nelson can you hear me?" A hand planted on my shoulder, the kind voice being somewhat comforting.

"Yes?" My brown gaze completely bloodshot peered over to the concerned male next to me.

"I'd like to step out to properly discuss your girlfriend's diagnosis."

I glanced over to Mia, completely bedridden.

"No." My voice cracked from the soreness of my achy and parched throat. "I want to stay by her side."

Dr. Glover sighed. "Please sir. Her parents haven't arrived yet and you're the only one here. I know it doesn't appear that way but I assure you she's completely stable and fine, just resting."

She's fine, she's fine.

I didn't think I'd be hearing that statement so soon.

"Mr. Nelson?" He tapped the door frame. "Please step this way."

**

"Serotonin Syndrome? What?" My arms folded as I wrinkled my brows from lack of understanding.

"I know, it's something that many people are not aware of, and I must apologize about the wait concerning the diagnosis, but I wanted to get the results back for clarity before coming to you. SS occurs when an individual consumes a substance that results in large levels of serotonin in the body. In this case, Mia. This can also happen if one increases the dosage, adds another medication, or dietary supplement.

I had never heard of anything like that in my life.

"And according to the blood and urine samples taken yesterday, her levels were dangerously high."

Slightly gasping, my breath became trapped as I struggled to speak. "I d-didn't know."

"We are aware that you didn't. But I must say that you're a hero. Thankfully you found her when you did because she was on the edge of being completely unconscious. I can't say that the condition is rare, but most severe cases are fatal and you sir have saved her life."

Hero? I'm no hero. If it wasn't for me she wouldn't be hospital bound right now. If it wasn't for me her relationships with her loved ones wouldn't be suffering. If it wasn't for me she wouldn't have gone through any trouble professionally. She would be happy, and most importantly, healthy.

Each bad situation in Mia's life all had one common factor; me. I blamed myself for everything that happened. If only I would've stayed in my place, if only I would've left her alone the first time, she would be fine. But of course I decided to go through with my own selfish needs. I had no right being called her hero, especially while being apart of her life almost caused her demise.