Two.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Apple Valley, Minnesota

Mia's POV

"It smells in here." Brooke frowned as we walked into my apartment.

" Brooke frowned as we walked into my apartment

It definitely did. Flipping the lights on, we began to scope out whatever funk filled the air.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think something died. Where's Phil? He didn't bite the dust did he?" Brooke asked in reference to my pet guinea pig.

"Well that's an awful thing to say. He's in his cage."

Opening the closet door in the kitchen, the cause of the smell was revealed.

"Dammit." I sighed. "Vincent didn't take the trash out like I asked.

"Does he do anything that you ask?"

"Not really."

"Mia I'm not sure why you put up with that bas- -" Brooke's words were interrupted as the door opened.

And there stood the topic of discussion. Vincent Simmons. Boyfriend of six years and my everyday headache. We met back sophomore year of college where he played football and I of course studied. Scouted since his high school days, Vincent was a top pick for the NFL, but after a few injuries and an ACL tear, he never played the same again and his future in professional sports plummeted.

"What she doing here?" Vincent rudely questioned as he looked over at Brooke.

"I could be asking you the same but we all know you couldn't give a straight answer to save your life." Brooke sarcastically replied.

"Umm hi to you as well Vin. Good day at work?" I asked.

"I guess. I'm hungry. Have you cooked anything? And what is that damn smell?"

"That smell is the garbage I asked you to take out and you didn't. And no, I haven't cooked a thing. I just got in myself."

"Figures." He said in a bothered tone. "I'm gonna go freshen up, the kids wore me out today and I'm heading out for drinks tonight with the fellas."

"Vincent it's Tuesday."

"And?"

"You shouldn't be going out on a weekday. You have work in the morning."

"So? If I get that toasted I'll call in. It's not like I ain't done that before."

"Whatever." I threw my hands up.

"Yeah whatever. And make sure she's out of my house by the time I'm done showering." Vincent demanded before slamming the bedroom door.

"I'm sorry. He's so rude sometimes."

"Don't apologize for that idiot." said Brooke. "He doesn't like me and I don't like him. Mia, you could do better."

"Brooke..."