15

Yoongi had never been as baffled as he was now.

Here was his old friend, Jimin, who had the sweetest smile and the sweetest laugh but now even his smile had turned sour.

"You're different." Yoongi said out loud.

"It's been three years, Yoongi. Even you're different."

"I don't think I've changed."

"I'm sure you have."

"No I haven't Jimin. If I have, I would've stopped texting you long ago."

Jimin looked over at Yoongi and for a moment, just one short moment, Yoongi thought he saw the old Jimin. "You should've given up."

"Was that why you never replied? You wanted me to give up?"

Jimin looked down.

"But I don't want to, Jimin."

"Let it go, Yoongi. As I have."

"No you haven't. If you have, you would've changed your number."

Jimin kept quiet.

Sighing, Yoongi cupped his face before turning to Jimin. "Fine. So you've moved on, then?"

"So should you."

———

That night Yoongi lied on his bed holding his phone.

He finger hovered over the option to delete Jimin's contact. His eyes focused on Jimin's school photo and suddenly, Yoongi knew what he needed to do.

He clicked open his messages to as usual.

Jiminie

Hey.

I know you're reading this.

I know you want me to stop.

I will if you do one last thing for me.

See me tomorrow if you'd like to talk.

I've missed you.|

I mi|

I|

Bye.

——————

Yoongi dragged his feet to the cafeteria once he was done with class. It wasn't that he was hungry. He just had to eat since he hadn't eaten all day and it was already noon.

Grabbing a roll of bread, Yoongi quickly stepped out of the increasingly filled hall towards the small park on campus.

"How come I could always find you?"

Yoongi turned to glance at Jimin standing over him, smiling.

Again, it wasn't the smile he used to have.

"Because you miss me. Missing someone does that to people."

"Speaking from experience?"

"Yeah." Yoongi chewed on his bread as he looked out on the campus panoramic view.

Jimin sat next to him on the bench. "What was it that you want me to do?"

Yoongi scoffed. "That eager to get rid of me, huh?"

"That eager to make you move on, Yoongi."

"Why is me holding on to the idea of us still being friends scares you so much?" Yoongi frowned at his once-friend. Honestly, he couldn't fathom the reason why Jimin was so determined to make him let go of him.

"That's exactly the reason why."

"What do you mean?"

"You want to hold on to the past of us being friends. I don't. Because honestly, Yoongi," Jimin turned to look at him, "I never did see you as a friend."

"Because you liked me?"

"No."

"What? Then why the fuck did you confe—"

"Because I loved you."

Yoongi's eyes were wide. He didn't know how to react to the news.

Loved.

Past tense.

"I loved you, Yoongi. All along, I thought I had a chance of making you fall for me too. I had everything at that time so I was confident. A family, money, a life."

Yoongi watched as Jimin's nose turned a little bit red and his eyes started glistening.

"Now I have nothing, Yoongi."

A strings of soothing words went through Yoongi's mind. He knew he was supposed to say those words to Jimin but somehow he couldn't. His mouth just wouldn't open.

Both of them kept quiet for a while. Yoongi didn't even finish his bread as he waited for Jimin to speak again.

"What is it you wanted me to do, Yoongi?" Jimin asked again after few minutes had passed.

"Summer break is coming up. Do you have anything planned?"

"Not really. I need to go back to help mom, though."

Yoongi nodded. "Can I steal you away for a few days at least?"

"Where do you want to go?"

"Home."