☾ Chapter 29☽

;

I wiped the tears threatening to spill from my eyes, I thought things would be okay, I really did. I guess not everyone gets a happily ever after. I trudged through the rain, hugging my soaked cardigan to myself, feeling sorrow and regret. My shoes splashing into the muddy puddles, footprints washed away instantly from the pouring rain. Maybe I was better this way. A sob wracked through my body, I could no longer hold in the tears. I cried out and fell to my knees, getting even more drenched by the muddy forest floor. I didn't care, I only cared for him. And now, he wasn't there anymore. I felt it, the emptiness, the bond, it was gone. The pain echoed throughout my cries as I lay covered in mud, rain and despair.

3 days earlier

Theo's POV

The rain had gradually subsided over the past few hours, yet my anxiety ridden thoughts hadn't dispersed. It was nearing the early morning hours and I was growing more restless by the second. Maybe Axel would come in the morning? Despite my nerves it felt plausible that everything would be alright. A good nights sleep would put my mind at ease.

With those thoughts in mind, I nestled under my bed covers with the intent of falling into a peaceful sleep. Though those plans were short lived when a tap against my window caused me to shoot up from my bed and stumble towards it. I pulled up the window, letting the cool night breeze flow into my room. 

"Axel?" I called out, glancing below. 

There was no one. Nothing. No familiar shadow of a smirking Axel throwing pebbles against my window to gain my attention.

I sighed and went to close the window before a black figure behind a tree caught my eye. I froze and gazed into it's direction. They weren't close enough for me to inspect the culprit and so I squinted, hoping to have a clear image of them. But to no avail they just stood there, motionless among the shadows of the forest. 

"Axel? Is that you?" I yelled out. 

The figure remained still.

I gulped, maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me? With a reluctant sigh I began to close my window. 

Suddenly something penetrated my arm, making me gasp in pain and shock. I looked down to find a dart of some sort injected into my skin. I collapsed onto the floor as I felt my body begin to shut down, my vision blurred.

Stay awake Theo, I willed myself to keep my eyes open.

My head spun and my body became numb, whatever was injected into my body willed me to stop moving. My breath came out ragged, it was getting harder to breathe now. The last thing I saw before my body fully went unconscious, was a dark figure climbing through my window and coming towards me.

The next day

Max's POV

I grinned when one of my loyal pack members delivered the news that Theo was contained. I was both surprised and overjoyed but I knew I could pull this off.  Finally my plans were coming together. With Axel and William out of the picture, no one could stand in my way of becoming the most powerful Alpha of Thorns dales Pack. 

"Excellent Marcel, deliver the news to the pack, wait better yet. Why don't I?" I cackled. He nodded before disappearing out the door. I glanced around my new office, William used to own it but now it was all mine.

 The buildings, the land and the pack.

 Axel couldn't inherit anything, and William was merely in the way. I sure loved the thrill of seeing Axel in utter torment when he heard that his precious Theo would become mine. I walked out of my office with a skip in my step. The halls of the pack house were empty, not a wolf in sight. I frowned but disregarded the detail, maybe everyone was gathered outside.

I couldn't wait to rule the pack that was rightfully mine. I pushed aside the main doors to the pack house and came face to face with an angry mob of werewolves. The whole pack had gathered near the entrance, some shifted into their wolf form, baring there teeth at me while others remained human with angered expressions on their faces. 

I smirked, this was bound to happen, but they no longer have an Alpha or Alpha to be and so they would have to eventually turn to me. Profanities of all sorts were fired at me, but I've heard it all before.

"Silence!" I boomed, making the crowd quiet down in an instance from my demanding tone. I may not have the voice of an Alpha or the powers, yet. But I knew that if I used the right amount of force, I'd lead this pack the way they are meant to be lead. 

"Who the hell are you?" A small anger filled wolf barked from the front of the crowd.

I started him down with my calculating eyes, he didn't look a day over 12, his mother it seemed cradled his arm, shushing and pleading him with her eyes to not say anything else. 

"Me? Well isn't is obvious?" I chuckled, "I'm your new Alpha!" I shouted and gave the pup a smug smile, making him scrunch his nose up in distaste. 

"Wheres Alpha William?! What have you done to him!" Yelled another member from the crowd.

"Axel will hunt you down!" another shouted.

Then practically everyone else followed suit.

"He won't allow this!"

"You don't deserve be Alpha!"

"Imposter!"

"Scum!"

The crowd began to chant harsh words in my direction. I grimaced, if they couldn't obey me when I used a calm approach, things would have to be done the hard way. I quickly shifted into my wolf form and released a head- splinting growl, the trees rustled and the ground shook, causing wide eyes, mouths agape, children crying. 

"I am your Alpha now, you will obey me, my rules, every single day of your miserable god forsaken lives." I said in a menacing tone, saying each word with a force so strong, my body shook with the energy.

"Not if I have something to say about it." A voice spoke at the back of the mob of wolves. 

I quickly shifted back to my human form and squinted. 

"Oh yeah? Show yourself then, or are you a coward." I growled out. 

"I'd say you look like a pretty big coward right now, Maximilian." The voice replied, I froze, no one knew my full real name, not even Axel. The voice made it's way through the crowd, still out of my view but people began to step aside, letting them pass.

They came to a stop a few feet away from me, the figure before me had my face turning white with fear and confusion. 

"Aurora?"