☾ Chapter 38 ☽

Authors note;
Decided to post two chapters at once, enjoy!

Axel's POV

It didn't feel like it was just a few hours ago that I was sneaking into the packhouse for me to only do it again and this time with someone I would have never imagined to be with. Max and I currently snuck onto the pack grounds, our eyes peeled for any intruders but it was too quiet for our liking.

"Do you know what happened after you left with the moon goddess?" I whispered to Max. He looked at me with squinted eyes as we were almost consumed by the nights' darkness if it wasn't for the full moon above. Just the thought of it being a full moon made me sigh in sadness. I could be with Theo right now, him in my arms, us mating and me marking him over and over again. But I was stuck with Max of all people, a complete offence to him.

"Well," He paused as if contemplating. "After the moon goddess revealed the dark queen's ways she only sent me back to the forest to find you, but I imagine it's not pretty there." He replied.

I nodded through the dark, we suddenly came to a stop behind one of the many trees as the packhouse came into view.

"Should we shift?" Max wondered out loud. I shook my head, "We'd be too loud and we wouldn't be able to put Lucas' weapons to good use." I lightly chuckled. Max agreed as I began to take out the weapons I brought with me. Max looked at me with a raised eyebrow as if asking why he didn't have one. I growled in response.

"No. I don't trust you quite yet." I responded and continued to pack the pistol with wolfsbane bullets.

Max scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest like a child. "And how am I supposed to protect myself?" He exasperated, throwing his arms in the air as if that would do him any good. I ignored him and smirked to myself, continuing to arm myself with a bulletproof vest under my shirt and placing other weapons in the holders. I felt very badass but now was not the time to pretend I was in an NCIS episode. This was real shit that realistically no cop or investigator could assist us. I sighed, humans.

Realistically, this could go both ways. Either we storm the packhouse and face an unquestionable force guarding my Theo and face sudden death. Or, we turn back now with our tails between our legs. And I was not prepared to do the latter. Max, on the other hand, was beginning to pace on the spot. I could clearly feel his nervous energy through my werewolf senses which frankly was aggravating me more and more.

"Could you just stand still?!" I blurt out, my voice way more above a whisper than I would have liked. Max instantly stopped and turned to me. 'A prick will always be a prick' I thought to myself. He extended his hand impatiently, giving me a pointed look. I rolled my eyes and handed him one of the Wolfsbane bombs. Max looked at it as if it was the weirdest things ever invented.

"You expect this purple shit to save my ass?" He glared at the tube as if it was the worst weapon in existence.

I growled in frustration, "It's a bomb that paralyzes the enemy for 1 minute, sort of like pepper spray but for werewolves, you're welcome." I was really getting tired of his attitude. No greed demon could convince me that Max wasn't already a dick before his spell. Max simply nodded in thanks and tucked the tube in his jean pocket.

Once we both were suited for whatever was waiting for us, we inched closer to the packhouse, making sure to stay in the shadows. To my surprise, the fields surrounding my once home looks abandoned. We quickly dashed across one of the sparing fields, careful to keep our footsteps light as we neared one of the buildings. We stopped against one of the cabins where I think the equipment was kept for practice. Only a few more cabins down would lead us to the entrance of the house. All the lights were out and not a soul was in sight. Odd.