SPRING // 1

monday, 6:45am, home

I rose out of bed, walking to Nano's room. I knew Nano wasn't going to wake up unless I told him to. My usual morning routine was going to be a little bit different today. I took Nano's bag and made sure he had completed his homework. He had surprisingly neat handwriting for a nine year old. I set his bag by the door. I made myself lunch, taking some mac and cheese packs and a water bottle with some Cheez It's. I had to get to school early to drop my paintings off and to make sure no one saw them. I wouldn't have time to go to Starbucks or Chick-Fil-A, so I had to make my own lunch. I liked having more time to sleep because I could get to school and not have to worry about the crowd.

I packed my lunch and put it in my bag. I put my painting in a big Banana Republic recyclable bag. I made sure I had everything in it, and I put my bags by the door next to Nano's.

I walked back to my room and put on some sweatpants and a white tribal shirt. Even though its only spring, it's not that hot. Although soon I know I'll have to go to shorts. I put on green converse just to pop the color. I had converse of every color. I went to Nano's room to wake him up, and he did his own little routine like I did. He was so cute.

I made his waffles, topping them with more syrup. I heard the toilet flush and the slow pitter-patter of his footsteps. He looked refreshed, also less tired than usual. He was wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt with skinny jeans and a jacket around his waist.

"Where do you get your style from?" I asked. He shrugged and pointed to himself, eating his waffles. I smiled at him and ruffled his curls. He nudged me off playfully. I watched him finish his breakfast, rinse his plate off, then run out of the kitchen. A few seconds later he came back. he pulled his board out of his bag and began writing.

"She's with a friend." I answered, right before his board turned to me. I already knew what he was going to say. He looked hurt, erased his board, and began writing again.

"I miss her, too."

He stopped writing again. He hugged me for a while and nodded, agreeing with me. I really wanted to. Tell him about Mom, that is. But it would ruin him. I couldn't see him cry. He doesn't make a sound when he cries. He sniffles a little, but no sounds. It would make anyone sad to see him cry.

I ran my hands through his curls again and he retreated from hugging me.

"You ready?" I asked. He nodded and we both walked to the front door. I grabbed my penny board while he grabbed his long board from the car port. I skateboarded with him to school. It was silent; I didn't try to make conversation because we were both listening to music. After a long while we finally made it to his school, and he kissed my nose.

I watched him walk into the safe boundaries of school. It was 7:10 now, and I made my way to school. I was on campus, and I skated towards the school steps in the courtyard. The good thing about getting here early was that it was silent and barely anyone was here. And the people here were silent just like me.

"Hey freak."

Except that guy.

I wasn't even 10 feet away from the school steps and the harassment had already started. The guy was a jock, I could tell by his jacket that had the school mascot on the front. I tried ignoring him, but his mouth was much bigger than his brain.

"Came here early so you can study, nerd?"

I stopped at the steps and walked up to him. He stood up, his frame towering over mine. I picked up my board in my right hand and swung at him. He flinched and raised his hands over his head.

"Jocks don't flinch. Or get scared. That's what the nerds are for." I said, putting my arm down. He straightened up again. "Jackass." I mumbled as I walked into the school.