SUMMER // 6

SUMMER // 6

We were packing our clothes into our suitcases. It was almost 8, and our flight was scheduled to leave at ten.

"There's a fair here." Denim said, looking out the window.

"Really?" I walked over to where he was standing and looked out. There was a big area reserved for it, and from here I could see a Ferris wheel and a few other rides.

"You wanna ride the Ferris wheel before we go?" Denim asked, and I eagerly nodded. I'd only rode a Ferris wheel a few times, but I was much younger.

We checked out of the hotel, and we asked if the lady in the front could keep out bags. She happily obliged and kept them out of sight.

We walked to the fair, and Denim purchased two 20$ tickets just so we could ride the Ferris wheel. He earned a kiss on the cheek for that.

The line wasn't that long; it was only long enough to give us a 15 minute wait. Once it was our turn, the operator hooked us in and up in slow repeating circles we went.

The sun was sinking into the sea, giving everything a red-orange color. The people became so minuscule as we went up. That's how big the wheel was.

"This is breathtaking."

"What is?" Denim asked, pulling me next to him.

"This view. The sun, the ocean, everything about it."

"I know." And I looked at Denim, and he wasn't even looking at the sunset. He was looking at me. I blushed and he caressed my cheek.

After a few more minutes, the ride was over, and we walked on the beach, holding each other's hand our shoes in one hand. Denim asked me to tell him a story, so I did.

"What type of theme does this story you want me to tell feature?"

He thought for a moment then paused. "Sad."

A story immediately came to mind.

"I remember one day my grandparents came over my dad's house, and my grandmother was talking to me & Nano about God. It wasn't your usual church session; it was fun to hear and I was eager. My grandfather was also taking his bath upstairs and my dad was watching TV in the back room. This was the summer before my freshman year.

"It had been about an hour after my grandmother started the interactive lecture, when my grandmother told Nano to go get my grandfather some water since my grandfather likes hot baths so much. When Nano came back down, he was rushing into my dad's room, pulling him upstairs.

"When my Dad came back downstairs, he kept telling me to call 911. I did, and when the paramedics came, it was explained that my grandfather had a heat stroke, and his body stopped responding. But he turned out fine with a few blisters on his feet.

"I know the story probably isn't that sad, but the thing is a day before that happened is that I was reading a book where this girl's grandfather's died of a stroke. Then the same day my grandfather was diagnosed with a heat stroke, while my grandmother was talking to me about God, something was telling me to check on him. But I didn't." I sighed and exhaled deeply. "The saddest part is that I didn't pay attention to the signs that were being thrown at me. And do you see where he ended up because of that? In the hospital."

There was a brief silence, then Denim decided to speak. "You've been through a lot. And thank you for the story. I always enjoy them." Denim turned me to him and hugged me.

"You really do impact me. Thank you for that."

--

After we got off the ride, Denim got us some French candy, these things called Berlingots and some Haribo gummy bears. We ate it as we walked back to the hotel. 

The woman was up there waiting for us with our bags, and we departed with hugs and "goodbyes", and we made our way to the airport. It was past 9, and our flight was boarding in less than an hour. I was extremely tired, and I went to sleep on Denim's shoulder.

When I woke up, I checked the time to see that it was 9:45 and we were boarding. There were more people since we were going back to America. Our seats were in the back, so we were boarding first. I tried to call Denim, but his phone was still here with me. I cursed at him for that, and I gave the flight attendant our tickets, telling her to watch out for my boyfriend, giving her a detailed description of him. She understood and I thanked her, carrying both of our bags onto the plain. 

It was pretty packed, and we only had one row to ourselves. I kept looking up from the back, seeing if Denim was here yet. The flight attendants began giving the procedure, and i began to get worried, seeing that he wasn't here yet.

"Where is he?"

I was constantly praying God would send him on the way from wherever the hell he was and get his ass on this plane. 

"NO! EXCUSE ME! LE EXCUSE ME! FUCK IT, DO Y'ALL EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH! LET ME GO IN THERE! I WANNA GO HOME!"

Good Lord.

I ran up to the front of the plane, past the flight attendants and to the plane the door. I asked a male flight attendant if he could let him in, and they opened the plane door. Denim jumped up and hugged me. He had a bag of McDonald's in his hand.

"I'm sorry. I wanted to get us some food because I heard your stomach growling. But then there was this blubber ass man in front of me who ordered damn near the entire menu and then some. Then I-"

I pulled back. "Are you crying?" I laughed a little.

"NO." He wiped his face. "I just  . . . I just ain't wanna get left."

The flight attendant interrupted us, telling us to go to our seats, seeing as we were about to leave. We went pass the passengers, going to the back of the plane. 

"God." I breathed out, relieved. "You scared the shit out of me."

"I'm sorry. Don't hate me. Don't be mad, please don't." He cuddled into my side, then he came up to my face and left sloppy kisses on my cheek. I playfully pushed him off and began laughing."

"I'm not mad at you. Just don't tell your parents what happened."

IM SORRY THAT THIS IS SHIT. :(
THINGS WILL GET BETTER I JUST HAVE TO FINISH SUMMER AND MORE EXCITING THINGS WILL HAPPEN STARTING IN FALL. :)