SPRING // 3

friday, 6:50pm, Mr. Lopez's house

"Stop calling me Mr. Lopez, Drew, just call me Ray." Mr. Lopez hung the bed sheets painting on one of the walls.

"Okay . . . Ray." I hung up the flowers piece across from it.

It was kind of cool because the art show was at Ray's house. He lived in a condo that was right across the street from Lenox Mall. His condo was at the top, and it had two floors. The art show was held on his first floor. He had two small posts that were about 8 feet tall and five feet wide. A panting was on each opposite side of each post, so each post held two paintings. The $1000 dollar painting and possible-auction painting were on a little stage in front of the two posts.

"The doors open at 7:00." Ray said. Setting up only took a few minutes, and we'd gotten here around 6:30.

"I think a lot of people are going to come tonight." Mom was looking around at my paintings. "Drew these are really good!" Her voice escalated as her smile got wider.

"Thank you, mom." I hugged her.

"Ok, I'm about to open the doors, the show starts in 3 minutes. And the people are all ready to come in." He clapped his hands. "Drew, go upstairs. You know where my room is. Mona, do you want to go with her or stay down here?"

"I'll stay down here. I want to see who's buying the paintings." She nodded.

"Ok, make sure you don't say a word about Drew painting this art. Technically, she's not even here." Ray told Mom. Mom understood.

I went around the little stage which led to a staircase. I jogged up and turned right into Rayan's room. I walked in and locked the door just as I heard the voices downstairs escalate. Rayan's room was pretty big. He had a king sized bed and a large flat screen TV. The bathroom was pretty big, too. I had been in this room several times at previous art shows. I sat on the bed and pulled out my phone to listen to music. There was a little refrigerator full of food and drinks, and I pulled out an apple and took a bite. I went onto Tumblr and posted this season's art: flowers, bed sheets, abstract, and abstract #2. Each season was technically an art show. The notes began to pile up on each other. I set my phone down and patiently waited for the art show to be over.

during the art show (third person)

People spilled in the widely spaced room to view the art made by Drew. They were all impressed by the unique selection, and the possible-auction painting received several comments and offers. More and more people spilled in every few minutes or so.

Denim, his parents, and his friends arrived about 10 minutes after the doors opened. Drew's mother, Mona, was looking around at her daughter's art.

"Mona?" She heard her name being called from across the room. She turned towards the voice, and her eyes widened when she saw the familiar face.

"Alicia?" she asked in much astonishment, smiling. They met each other in the middle and hugged. Mona and Alicia went to college together, but became distant after Alicia's modeling career began.

"How've you been? You look great! I haven't seen you since junior year of college!" Alicia complimented. Mona blushed and shook her head. Everyone was oblivious to the fact that she was dying.

"I'm just going on with life as it is. And thank you; you look even better." Mona replied, a few voice cracks apparent. Alicia looked at Mona, but Mona kept her gaze distant. Mona changed the subject, trying to cut the awkward silence. "So I heard you have a son? How old is he now?" Mona cleared her throat.

"Oh yeah! I have a son and his name is Denim. he's around here somewhere with his friends. He's 17 now." Alicia nodded.

Mona gasped. "I have a daughter about his age. Her name's Drew. She's also 17. And she goes to Rosen High, right?" asked Mona.