Summer

Summer: Being With Him

"I'll never leave you."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

friday, 3pm, Northside Hospital

Technically, we had 15 minutes of school left, and we weren't allowed to leave school. We snuck out the parking lot instead. Cayron, Berah, and Jax wanted to come too, and they needed a ride home anyway.

Now we were at the hospital. Denim dropped me off, and Cayron came in with me since he was my big brother. Denim said he would drop Jax and Berah off, then he would come right back.

I hurried to the Emergency Room gate, and ran to the receptionist's counter.

"Hi I'm here for Mona Matisse?" I asked, putting my hands on the counter.

"And you are her daughter, correct? Drew Matisse?" She flipped through some papers and looked back at me.

"Yes." I nodded.

"I'm going to have to see some I.D. For him, too."

"He's 15. Doesn't have I.D. Little brother." I pulled out my wallet from my bag and handed her my driver's license.

"Pretty big to be 15. And no permit?" She typed away on her computer.

"Weight training. And nope. He's grounded."

She nodded and handed me a lanyard with my name on it. Underneath my name, it said "Daughter of Patient" in smaller letters.

"What is your name?" She looked at Cayron looked at me, then back at ear.

"Cayron. Cayron Matisse." He repeated. The lady handed him a lanyard.

"Floor 12. Room 12-17."
.
I thanked her and ran to the elevator. I pressed the up button and the doors opened. We got on quickly and we were going up.

"You're a great liar." Cayron laughed.

"I hate lying."

The rest of the ride up was silent.

Once the doors opened, I ran out and turned right, looking at the labels above the doors. 12-15, 12-16, 12-17.

I opened the door and there everyone was. Nano was sitting on the bed with Mom, sleeping. Alicia and Rashaad were sitting by the window while Mr. & Mrs. August were sitting closest to the door. Ray was here, too, standing at the foot of the bed. Cayron stood by a counter near the door. I wasn't even surprised that Chance wasn't here.

Mom smiled when she saw me, and I smile back. I walked over and hugged her, my body making it's way onto the bed. Nano was sleeping on top of her, so it was no problem.

Mom had an IV in her left hand, and she had these little tubes in her nose. They proofed her oxygen like Hazel. Nubbins.

"How are you feeling?" I rubbed against her hospital gown. It felt like cheap tissue paper.

"Good." Her voice was tired, just like this morning.

There was a knock on the door, and half the room said come in. The door opened, revealing what looked like a doctor. She looked very young.

"Hello everyone. My name is Amberly and I am your mother's doctor while she's here." She smiled. Everyone greeted her.

"Can we get some privacy please?" Mom asked.

Soon, only Mom, Nano, and I were left one left in the room.

Amberly began explaining Mom's condition. Mom was asthmatic hemophiliac. In most asthma attacks, she would cough up blood and it would be extremely difficult to get to the bleeding to stop. They would have to perform a surgery so she would be able to breath easier.