SPRING // 4

monday, 8:10am, school

"Omg did you hear?"

"Did you do the homework for math?"

"So what if I'm failing?"

These are the things you hear on a usual, regular Monday morning. Today was different. Now you were hearing things like this.

"I can't believe that hobo was killed!"

"Did you watch the news yesterday? Yeah that hobo..."

"I was there! I saw it! (Liar)..."

All I hear. Lord. I kept a straight face all morning, not affected because no one talked to me about it. But hearing it irritated me. Like, shut up. Everyone knows it happened. Shut up and mind your own fucking business. God.

I went to my locker and opened it, grabbing my things and closing it quickly, walking to class. Everyone was still talking about it. I grit my teeth together, then my name was being called. I knew who it was because he was the only one to call my name.

"Mhm?"

Denim came running up to me. "Are you okay? Don't lie to me this time." He said with his most serious face. He looked cute when he tried to be serious. I tried not to smile. "Are you sure everything's okay?"

"For now." I left him in the hallway and went to class.

--

It was 2nd period and I was in Social Studies watching a video on Geography that also clicked in with in American Government. It was boring nonetheless, but I took notes since it said this information was going to be on the final.

The video was over, and a sigh of relief swept over the class. Another video began playing, and everyone groaned. Fuck it. I'm not writing. I'm smart and I'll pass and my hands are tired,

I felt my phone buzz, and it made me jump. I slid my phone out of my back pocket and turned the brightness down quickly. I looked at the text message and it was from Mom. Lord, what happened. She had sent me an email for the murder of the hobo. Mom always sent me links to big news and I tended to ignore them. But I had to see this.

"Homeless Man in Sandy Springs Killed"

I clicked the link, putting my forehead on my desk and covering it with my arm.

"Late Saturday night, a homeless man was found dead on an abandoned street. He was shot in the chest and the cause of death was extreme blood loss (taken from Sandy Springs Police autopsy file). Because this happened once before, a homeless man killed for fun by two teenage boys late last year, this investigation will be taken to extreme measures.

An older man who was walking his dog found the homeless man and said he had a description of the killer. Tall, skinny, and must've been very athletic because he ran very fast. We think this man is Caucasian and in his mid 30's. The Sandy Springs Police are refusing to speak to the public about what they have found and will find, but details given will surely be reported."

"Oh, thank God." I whispered to myself. I know it's bad that it's put on an innocent man. But I'm 17, I can't go to jail. Not now. I put my phone away then wen back to watching the movie.

Then the classroom door opened. Everyone's head darted towards it, including mine. It was the guidance counselor, specifically for juniors, Mr. Johnson. I had always seen him in the hallway telling everyone to go to class. Everyone seemed cool with him. I was kind of cool with him, waving in the hallways and saying hello whenever I passed by. He was the only one person in the school who knew of Mom's sickness.