Chapter 9

Grayson POV (When he leaves)
My phone buzzes beside me waking me up from my slumber. I squint and untangle my arms slowly from Layla.

She stirs in her sleep but falls quiet and I hear her soft snores from beside me. I turn around and grab my phone.

Aaron: Grab your bags Gray, We're on our way

Me: Ok, See you soon

I stand up from the bed quietly and go to my closet. A dark blue duffle bag sat at the bottom of my closet and I reach down to grab it.

The bag had all my clothes and necessities that I'll be needing. I sling the bag over my shoulder trying to be as quiet as possible.

I look towards Layla's sleeping figure and feel hot tears stain my cheeks.

I don't want to leave her, I don't want to say goodbye.

But I want to protect her and this is the only way how. If I would have told her I was leaving she would've done something stupid like try to find me. This is for the best.

I lean over and kiss her head. She smiles in her sleep and it breaks my heart ever more.

I place the note I had made a few nights ago on my pillow and I walk out of the bedroom.

I walk to the girls bedrooms and kiss their heads goodbye and quietly leave their rooms.

I walk to the front door and wipe the tears away. I take a look around my house and know that's it's not safe here anymore.

A black van pulls up in front of the house and I exit my house making sure to lock the door. I look left and right and make a run for the van.

I hop in and slide the door close and Aaron speeds off down the road.

Jack glances back at me from the passenger seat and gives me a look of sympathy. I look away and slide the bag of my shoulder.

My heart hurts and all I want is this pain to end. But I know as the days go on I'll be missing Layla more and more. And my heart will be hurting, more and more.

The plan was simple. Keep an eye on the Reptiles.

Aaron got word from one of his buddies in jail that most, if not all the original Reptiles are being released. Apparently, they have a hideout South of our warehouse and that's exactly where we are heading.

" So, how long do you think the ride will be?" I ask Jack and he looks up from his laptop where he seemed to be typing furiously away at.

" About 5 hours or so. It still confuses me that they moved all the way out there. There has to be something that made them switch head base" Jack mumbles out going back to typing on his computer.

I sigh and slouch down further in my chair. The van smelled like sh*t. There was little room back here because of our luggage and items we'd be needing.

I glanced out the tinted windows and couldn't help but think of Layla.

She would've already got the note by now. Does she hate me after reading the note? Is she crying? Is her heart hurting just as much as mine?

All these questions whirled through my head and I needed space. I needed something to take my mind off of what I really needed, Layla.

We stopped at a gas station and we all got out to stretch our legs. Aaron parked at one of the gas pumps and we got out.

" I have to go take a piss, Jack fill up the tank for me" Aaron said while making his way into the corner store a couple feet away from the gas pumps.

" I never owned a car in my life! How am I supposed to fill up the tank! I know the basics on driving a car but I don't have my license and I don't..." Jack rambles starting to lose his cool.

" Jack, You go get snacks and drinks. I'll fill up the tank" I say to Jack as I take the nasal of the pump and place it into the car.

Jack nods his head and makes his way inside the store.

As I'm waiting for the tank to fill a big, rusty red truck pulls up squeaking as it does.

An older man falls out and I already know it isn't going to be good. His grey long beard covers his neck and chest and his bald head shines brightly under the sun.

I look away when the man turns his head so he doesn't catch me looking. He turns around and faces his body towards the pump when I see a symbol on his back that I didn't want to see.

The leather jacket he was wearing had the reptiles symbol on the back. I stiffen not knowing what to do.

We must be close to the base if we ran into a reptile or he's going somewhere... but where?

The tank fills up and I slide my phone out and call Aaron.

" What the f*ck is it?" Aaron answers and I hear the sound of running water in the background.

" Exit the washroom and look out the window. Red rusty truck, do you see it?" I ask him and I hear him shuffling out of the washroom.

" Yeah, so what? It's a rusty old... sh*t. We aren't even close to the base yet, how did we run into a reptile?" Aaron says once the man turns around to get back into his truck.

" Pay for gas and food and get your as*es into the car" I tell Aaron and he hangs up and slides his wallet out of his pocket.

I notice him lean down into Jacks ear and whisper something that makes Jack go pale. Wimp.

They both exit the store and make their way to the van.

Aaron slides into the drivers seat while I slide into the passenger. Jack slides the back door open and jumps inside.

The old man pulls out a paper from his back pocket and then looks up at us. Realization hits him and he glares holes into our heads.

" Step on it" I tell Aaron and he does just that. He slams his foot down on the pedal and the van jerks to life.

" Ok, He's following us. We're going to have to lose him somehow" I say.

Jack pulls up a tab showing us maps of the place we are in.

" Well we could do..." Jack starts but I sigh.

" We don't have time for maps. He's right behind us. Aaron, turn left" I say. Aaron turns down the street and so does the man.

" Turn right" I tell him and he does what I say. The man almost loses control of his rusty dump of a truck but still manages to stick on our trail.

I look up ahead and see a ramp some kids must have made for their scooters.

" Trust me Aaron" I tell him and he looks over at me then back at the ramp.

" There's no way that will hold us" Aaron yells at me, looking like I'm stupid.

" Press on it" I tell him and Aaron presses on it while slightly turning the car in the direction of the ramp.

The man turns his truck too.

" Turn left... NOW" Aaron turns the car left and we head back into the gravel road. The man doesn't have enough time to steer away and goes straight into the ramp, breaking through it.

His truck starts to smoke and we speed off while the man screams out to us.

" Next time, don't argue and just trust me" I tell both of them and they nod their heads and look back in astonishment.

I sit back into the chair and start to relax as much as I could. The reptiles are definitely out for us.

A/N
Hey!

I'm finally on time and nobody had to remind me either!!

How was the chapter? How do you like the book so far?

Next Chapter: Tuesday June 5th, 2018

Vote and comment what you think! Really appreciate all the love I have received so far for this book!!

Xoxo, Laura