Chapter 11

Layla POV
After a while of persuasion Beckett finally agreed to drive us to my old house.

" In the letter, didn't it say it wasn't safe anymore... meaning that there could be reptiles already there looking for our blood" Beckett says worriedly. Ina smacks his arm and he rubs the spot where she hit him. He looks at her then back at the road where he was driving on.

" Nothing bad is going to happen. We will all be fine" Ina says calmly while looking out the window. I do so too and notice the familiar houses. We are getting close.

I start to panic. Am I really ready to go back there? What if Beckett said was true and we fall right into a trap?

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Everything will be alright.

" Hey, Stop sleeping back there. We are here" Ina says shaking my shoulder and my eyes open quickly. I glance out the window and feel the familiar pain in my heart. I miss him so much.

Beckett parks the car in the driveway and we all hop out of the car. Beckett looks around us making sure it was clear to go while Ina walks confidently up the stairs to the front door.

" Layla, the keys?" She says while I stay put in my spot paralyzed in fear.

Beckett placed his hand on my back and guides me to the door.

" You don't have to do this if you don't want too" Beckett whispers in my ear. His voice was soft and caring.

I shake my head at him and give him a small smile. I'll be okay.

I take the keys out of my pocket and outstretched my shaking hands to the door. I place the key in the door and turn it slightly. The door opens with a creek and Ina is the first to enter.

Beckett and I stay put at the door and Ina looks back and rolls her eyes.

" Get over here you wimps" She teases us with an encouraging smile. I look up at Beckett and he looks down at me. He outstretches his hand.

" After you" He says and I nod my head. I step into the house with Beckett right behind me.

The house looked normal. Empty without anybody living here but normal. Everything was the way we left it.

" Let's get searching. Beckett, stay on the first floor, keep watch just in case. I'll be in Grayson's room and Layla, you check any rooms you think might have a clue" Ina says and she runs up the stairs.

I look at Beckett and he shakes his head while keeping watch at the door.

I walk through the house and make my way to the girls room. Maybe I could grab a stuffed animal for them so they feel a little at home. I walk up the stairs and into the room.

The pink walls glistened in the afternoon sun and the room felt creepy. This whole house felt creepy because it was once full of life, now just an abandoned place.

I open up the girls drawers and skim through them, looking for any clues Grayson might have hidden.

Their drawers were empty. Well, filled with clothes but empty of clues.

I then searched under the bed and took a quick scan around the room. The closet, I should look there.

I walk over to the white closet doors and open them up. Their closet looked normal at first glance but I noticed a black box hidden at the top.

There's no way that was theirs because even I can't reach the top shelf and they are way smaller than me.

I grab one of the girls chairs that sat in the corner of the room and stood on it. The chair wobbled a bit but didn't fall over.

I reach up and grab the box when I feel the chair tip and I start to fall. Instead of feeling the hard ground, I felt someone's arms instead.

I look up at Beckett who had caught me.

" Thanks" I smile while standing up properly. I keep the black box tightly on my hands when I see Beckett's alarmed face.

" A group of rusty beat up trucks pulled up and one of the men jumped out and he had a big reptile tattoo right on his face. They are here" He says. "Wait, where's Ina? I thought she was with you!" He frantically says.

Suddenly we hear the door slam open and footsteps entering the house. I look at Beckett with wide eyes and I signal for him to shut it and keep quiet.

I pull the closet doors close and put the chair back where it used to be so nothing looked like we've been here. I slip the black box into Beckett's hands for safe keeping.

" She's in Grayson's bedroom. We need to get there before anyone sees us. In the room is a big window that we can jump out of" I whisper to him while grabbing his hand and making our way to the door.

I peer out and hear the men searching through cabinets and drawers. The hallway was clear and I pull Beckett towards the bedroom and quickly close the door behind us.

Beckett runs over to Ina and puts his arms around her. Ina goes to speak up but I signal her to be quiet.

" What's going on?" She whisper to us. She was kneeling in front of the closet with some bills and photos laid out.

" Grab whatever we may need. The reptiles are here" I whisper. She grabs a couple papers and stuffs them into her bra. She then closes the doors to the closet and looks to me.

" How do we get out unnoticed? Even if we escape the car is still in the driveway!" Ina says and I curse silently. We just had to leave the car in the driveway. Nice move.

" Why don't I pretend to be a housekeeper while you and Beckett escape and get the car ready" I suggest while throwing my hair up into a bun and grabbing a apron from his closet. Don't ask.

I slip on the apron and look in the full length mirror. Perfect.

" Okay, so what's the plan?" Beckett asks nervously.

A/N
This chapter hasn't been edited so bare with me ahaha.

Don't really know when I'm posting next just because I'm going on vacation for two weeks in July so I'll get back to you soon!

Thanks to all the lovelies that helped me post this chapter on time❤️❤️

Vote and comment what you think!

Xoxo, Laura