Chapter 16

"Okay, where are we off to first?" I ask while I buckle my seat belt. Ina, who was our driver pulls out a paper map from beside her and studies it.

"Omg we are going to get lost! You are using a paper map. We are doomed" Becket frantically wails. I look behind me and stare a Beckett. His eyebrows furrow and his lips were set in a thin pale line.

"Beckett, you don't have to come with us if you don't want too" I tell him, feeling awful for dragging him in my mess.

"No! I have to go, I have to protect you girls from any harm" Beckett states sitting up in his seat looking determined to face his fears.

"Like you'd do any protecting" Ina snorts and looks back at Beckett. She sees his face and softens. She faces Beckett and signals him to come closer to her. She kisses his lips lightly, grazing her hand against his cheek.

"Everything will be fine, don't worry about anything" Ina whispers in a soothing voice and Beckett soon relaxes. She gives him a final kiss and retreats back to her seat. Ina likes to show off her tough side but behind the facade is a soft, loving girlfriend that only Beckett gets to see.

"Umm" Ina clears her throat as if to advert everybody from the awkwardness in the car.

"I think we should head to the closest serpents base to us right now, which is a day or two away" Ina says and I nod agreeing with her.

Ina starts the car and drives off.

An hour after our drive started, we had to stop for a break. Beckett had to use the washroom, Ina was getting hangry and my butt was numb from the stiff car seat.

We pulled over at a truck stop and Ina went into the convince store to get snacks for the rest of the way. Beckett raced to the washrooms and I was left to fill up the car with fuel.

I look around the place and notice a few people filling up there cars but my eyes land on one person. Her hair was black with electric blue tips. Her body looked defined and muscular. Her face was beautiful and so was her chocolate skin complexion, her clothes looked rugged and she had a duffel bag slung around her shoulder.

Ina walks out of the shop and stops dead in her tracks. She stares at the girl and the girl stares back. Both intensely staring each other down to their graves. I hold my breath, waiting for some confrontation. My fists ball up and just as I way about to stop their fight from happening, they run up to each other and embrace each other in a bear hug.

The girl lifts Ina up and spins her around in a circle.

"Nakiya!! I can't believe it's you. I've been searching for you for so long. I missed you!!" Ina exclaims wrapping her arms around the girls toned body.

"Life has been h*ll recently and I'm so glad I found you again. Dad kicked me out again. This time I'm afraid for good." Nakiya says and I stare at the two puzzled. Are they sisters? Ina never told me she had a sister. But then again, she never liked talking about her personal life.

Ina tenses at the mention of her father and grinds her jaw. "You don't need that pathetic waste of oxygen. I'll take care of you" Ina takes Nakiya's hand and walks over to the car where I just finished up with the car.

"Layla, this is Nakiya. She's my half sister. She's coming with us, She'll be good to have on the team" Ina says hopping in to the drivers seat. Nakiya smiles at me and hops into the back seat of the car.

I glance behind me and see Beckett running up to us and tripping over his feet.

"I SAW THE BIGGEST SPIDER EVER AND IT WAS ON THE TOILET AND I COULDNT USE THE TOILET WITH THE SPIDER THERE SO I NEED ONE OF YOU TO KILL IT!!!" Beckett screams at us.

Ina looks back into the back seat. "Nakiya, meet Beckett, my boyfriend" Ina states rolling her eyes and getting out of the car to kill the spider Beckett was afraid of.

I giggle as they retreat back to the washrooms and hop into the car. I notice the fresh scar along Nakiya's left cheek and can't help but think that her and Ina's father had something to do with it. Sudden flashbacks bring me back to when I was 17 and going through the same thing she is going through now.

I shudder and look into her eyes. Her eyes told a thousand stories. Horrid, awful stories that she couldn't hide even if she wanted too.

Looking into Nakiya's eyes was like looking into my past.

Scared

broken

afraid

And a whole lot of hopelessness.

A/N
Here's the update for October. A little shorter of a chapter but I really like this one. A new character was introduced!! A sweet reader messaged me a while back asking if she could be in the book so I decided to add her in.

Vote and comment what you think! I'm interested to see everyone's opinions.

Xoxo, Laura

(Next update will be in November)