Chapter 21

Grayson POV
The team was on their way, and my arms held Layla close to me. I couldn't believe she was pregnant. That I- I would be a father. Her head leans on my shoulder and she whispers that she's scared.

"Don't worry Layla. Nothing will happen to you or the baby. And once we get out I promise you we will move to a nice house, a big backyard for the new edition. No more secrets, no more life or death situations" I reassure her. She nods her head and a faint smile plays on her lips. I can tell she loves this idea. That she loves thinking of our future.

The earpiece screeches in my ear and I hear Jack's voice.

"We're heading out now, should arrive in 15 minutes. Any sign of the reptiles?" Jack says while I hear rustling and rushed movement in the back ground.

"No, nothing yet. I think they've let us be for now but hurry over. I don't want to spend a minute longer here." I tell him while I tighten my grasp on Layla. Ever since she arrived, I haven't wanted to let her go.

Just as I pull Layla closer, we hear shouting from outside the metal door. Layla looks up at me and I pull Layla behind me, using my body as a shield.

Two men burst through the door and search our room with their terrifying gaze. They spot us together and smirk as they head over to us.

"Look what we have hear. Seems to me that these two can't stay away from each other." One man growls as he pulls his knife from his pocket.

"Don't you dare even think about touching her. You'll have to go through me" I sternly say, my voice going dangerously deep.

The man with the knife rushes towards me and we start to fight. The man takes several jabs at my stomach, I block the jabs and grasp his wrist. I struggle to gain control but manage to get him to drop the knife.

I punch him in the face a couple of times and he falls to the ground unconscious. I look around to find Layla and notice the second man dragging Layla towards the door. I run over to her and punch the man in the face, knocking him out as well.

"Did he hurt you?" I frantically ask, my eyes searching her body for any injuries.

"No, I'm fine. He didn't hurt me." She says. She looks at the door than at me. I glance at the door and my eyes light up. The door was left open. This was it. If we wanted to escape, we had to do it now. I grab Layla's hand and place my hand up to my mouth, signaling to be quiet. She lets go of my hand and heads over to the men laying on the ground. I look at her strangely but realize what she was doing. She grabs the knife laying on the floor and she also finds a gun in one of their pockets. She hands me the gun and she takes the knife for herself. She grabs my hand again and shyly smiles. Oh how I love this girl.

I had faintly remembered where the exit was and scurry down the dimly lit hallway. I press the button in my earpiece and call for backup.

"Do you have access to the side door?" I ask Jack.

"They've blocked me out. I can't seem to get back in to their system. We're pulling up now. Where in the building are you?" Jack asks. I hear the van halt to a stop and the doors slide open through the earpiece.

"We're heading down the hallway and the side door is in view." I tell him. Layla yelps as she nearly dodges a bullet. I drop down to the floor dragging Layla down with me. I pull out my gun and crawl along the floor, not letting go of Layla's hand.

I look around trying to find out where the gunman was. I notice a few dark figures at the end of the hallway.

"Did I hear shots?" Jack questions.

"Get to the side door and open it now. They've found us and they have guns." I yell at Jack through the earpiece. I look to Layla and pull her in front of me.

"When I say so, I need you to rush to that door. I'll fend them off while you escape." I tell her.

"I'm not leaving you here" She cries, her hands trembling.

"I'll be right behind you Layla. But I need to get you to safety first." I tell her as I continue to watch the dark figures come closer. I kiss her head and tell her I love her.

"We're here Grayson. We've knocked out the guards but we won't have much time before more arrive. Aaron is figuring a way to get the door open" Jack informs me.

Seconds later the door breaks open and I see the light for the first time.

"NOW!" I yell out as I push Layla out to the door. She runs towards the door and disappears into the light. I stand up and start to shoot towards the figures as they get closer and closer.

I walk backwards while I shoot and just as I'm about to be free, I feel a surging pain in my shoulder. I fall to my knees as my blood escapes everywhere. I hear laughter from the one voice I hated most. My vision blurs as I feel a pair of arms scoop me up and bring me into the light. Shots echo through my ears as I feel my body being dragged away.

A/N
I know! I know! I'm so sorry for leaving you guys on a cliffhanger. But I'm planning on posting twice in April so I will make up for it!!!

How was this chapter? Were you surprised at all? Are you secretly crying? (don't worry I am😉)

Vote and comment what you think! I always love reading comments and receiving feedback.

Xoxo, Laura Sea