Chapter 22

Grayson POV
Screams can be heard as more and more shots are fired. The only thing that was on my mind was Layla. Where is Layla? Did she make it out? Is she the one screaming?

I stumble as I try to stand up. The person still had their arms around me, trying to support my weight and get me to walk. I look around frantically, searching for Layla.

"She's in the van" The person holding me says. I look up and see that Aaron was the person holding me up. He was the one that dragged me out of there.

We get to the van and I see Jack and Layla as well as some other people I didn't recognize. One of the guys I don't recognize helps me into the van as Aaron fends off the Serpents. Aaron quickly hops in and the van speeds off. The Serpents follow us in their cars as we race to get away.

"Oh My God, Grayson! Are you okay?" Layla screams as she sees my bloody shoulder. I look at my shoulder and groan in pain. It's worse than I thought.

"He's losing a lot of blood," Aaron says to Jack. Jack who was driving, quickly glances at me and winces.

"Damn Grayson, I can't just head to the hospital! The serpents are right behind us." Jack declares as he swerves the van to dodge one of the cars from hitting us.

A shot goes through the side door and everyone screams.

"GET DOWN" Aaron yells as he pulls out his gun. He leans out the window slightly and shoots the tire of one of the cars. The car swerves off the road and into a tree. A girl with blue hair pulls out a gun and goes to another window and begins to shoot. I look to Layla in confusion.

"Who are these people?" I ask her as I slump further down onto the van floor. She crawls over to me and tears her sweater apart and presses it to my shoulder. I yell out in pain and she winces.

"Beckett, Ina and Nakiya. Beckett, help me stop the bleeding" She demands. Beckett takes one look at my shoulder and faints.

"Ina help me!" Layla screams. Ina crawls over and helps tie the sweater to my shoulder tightly to try to stop the bleeding. Beckett wakes back up and apologizes. The bleeding in my shoulder subsides but the pain increases.

"I can't believe you, Beckett, for once in your life can you man up! I'm sick and tired of-" Ina suddenly gets cut off by a shot piercing the side of the van. We all frantically look around to see if anyone was hurt.

Our eyes land on Beckett, who suddenly got very still. His body slumps to the floor and Ina screams.

Layla and Ina assess his body and notice the bullet pierced his chest. Blood filled his star wars t-shirt as both Ina and Layla panic.

"OH MY GOD!! Oh my god, oh my god! Beckett! Beckett baby! Look at me!! Baby don't close your eyes. It's going to be okay. It's alright. You're fine" Ina cries. Her sobs fill the van as we race to get as far as the Serpents as possible. Ina rips off her sleeves and presses it to his chest. Blood fills her hands as she screams and yells for help.

Beckett lies there lifelessly. Layla checks his pulse and confirms that he's still alive.

"We need to go to the hospital now!" Ina yells at Jack. "He's not going to make it!"

A black SUV pulls up beside us and rolls down the window. A man that looks familiar is driving. I stare a little more and realize who it is. It's John.

"You really thought you could beat the Serpents without me?" John jokes. "Listen, I need you to follow me. The FBI are awaiting at a certain location for the Serpents."

Jack nods his head as John pulls up in front and leads the way. I look behind and see three cars still on our trail.

Nakiya and Aaron stop shooting as Jack races behind John. Ina had Beckett's head in her lap as she stroke his hair with her bloody hands. Layla laid beside me in my arms as I used my body to protect her from any other shots. Nakiya crouched down alongside Aaron.

John finally pulls up to an empty parking lot and Jack begins to slow down. The cars behind us quickly catch up to us. Jack pulls to a stop on the farthest side of the parking lot, The Serpents parked at the other side. The car doors open and the serpents aim their guns at us.

"We've got you now Grayson! There's no running away this time. Surrender now or we will kill every last person in that van" Johnny the Serpents leader says. Jack grips the wheel, ready to start the van again if he needs to.

"FIVE" Johnny yells from the protection of his car.

"FOUR" I look around for the FBI and see no sign of them.

"THREE" Everybody scrambles to figure out what to do.

"TWO" I look towards Layla, seeing the tears run down her face as I tell I love her for what very well could be the last time.

"ONE" I begin to open up the van door when I feel a blast of heat hit me hard. The van tumbles and smoke fills the air. The smoke was so thick, I couldn't see anything farther than 2 inches away.

My hands fly out in front of me as I search for Layla. I somehow ended up outside of the van, and the van itself had ended up on its side.

"LAYLA!" I yell as loud as I can. I search by feel, trying to find her among the smoke. Shouting could be heard from across the parking lot but I could care less about what they were shouting. All I needed to know was that Layla was okay. I cough as the smoke starts to clear. I see Aaron pulling out Nakiya from the van. Laying beside the van was Beckett and Ina.

"Where is Layla?" I frantically ask. Aaron points over his shoulder as I see Layla standing beside Jack. She sees me and runs into my arms.

"Oh My God! Are you okay?" I ask her as I assess her. She nods her head and digs her face into my shoulder. I wince and she pulls away.

"Jack, We need to get out of here!" Layla says realizing that I was hurt and Beckett was dying. Paramedics rush over to us, accompanied by John. The paramedics asses Beckett first and wheel over the stretcher. 

"The FBI got him. We won't have to worry anymore" John tells me. Those words replay in my head. We're okay. My knees buckle and black dots cloud my vision. Paramedics rush over to me as I realize the shock and adrenaline must have worn off. They shout some numerical code, place an oxygen mask over my face as I feel my eyes begin to close. The paramedics whisk me away on a stretcher. All I remember hearing was Layla crying as I slowly slip away into darkness.

A/N

This is a crazy chapter!! I can't believe what happened and I'm the one who wrote it!

This is the second last chapter.

I know. Don't freak out.

There will be a long epilogue though so don't worry.

Vote and comment what you think!!

Xoxo, Laura Sea