Useless Pleading

Charles' POV

To think that all of this, every second of hardship and effort gone and obliterated as soon as he turned the wheel. The very moment of that turn, not even any hesitation to save his life, but to make sure that Abby was safe.

Now his life was on the line.

And so was hers.

As soon as Parker lied unconscious on my lap, his head continuously spilling maroon on my pants, the outcome of my actions and decisions have finally dawned to me.

This was all my doing.

If it wasn't for me, Abby would never have been kidnapped, she would be awake and safe as Dave held onto her, their eyes locked to each other with deep affection and longing.

If it wasn't for me, if it wasn't for my need in money at that time, I wouldn't have worked for Frederick to kidnap a lady who had no intention of harming others.

And yet here she was, her breathing slow and her will to live struggling on the line, her bloody wound still bleeding and staining and aching. I had no other thought besides her, she was someone I needed to pay my debt to, one horrible debt I needed to repay.

The ride to the hospital was dreadful, every limb of my body shaking and trembling as I sat beside her, the paramedics cleaning up the wound that had carelessly soaked her brown locks. I yearned to reach in and graze my fingertips on the strands of hair covering her cheek, but the nurse was blocking my way.

The door flew open and she was rushed out to the emergency room, where Parker was also headed. Dave had been carried to the operating room since his injuries were far more deadly and severe than a concussion.

The nurse kept asking me questions, her voice high and sharp as she talked to me. I merely shook my head and told her to give me some time to rest.

I watched as they wrapped her wounded head on white gauze, apparently it was so deep that they needed to stitch it to keep the wound from bleeding, as she would die from too much blood loss.

My mind was swept away to the dimly lit road, seeing a small puddle of blood next to her head, she lied still and unconscious, but what haunted me even more was that her eyes were closed, and she was barely breathing.

But then fear rose on my throat, seeing Dave inside the shattered car, he was unrecognizable as his head was coated with fresh blood and shards of glass, but it was enough for me to recognize him. Three deep cuts of buried glass were on his stomach and chest, fresh and raw as blood trickled and stained the clothes he wore.

I was awoken from my thoughts as another nurse snapped her fingers in front of me.

"Excuse me, but can you fill in her forms? She has no one else in company besides you, Are you her family?"

And then there was her family, had they abandoned her? Weren't they worried for their daughter?

I took the papers and pen from her hands, giving her a nod of approval. "We're not family but I am her friend, so I can fill it up for her"

She smiled and nodded before turning to walk away, but I grabbed her by the arm, and she turned to me with raised brows.

"Uhm, I know I shouldn't be asking but, how is Dave Sanchez doing in the operating room?"

Her lips were in a thin line as she asked me. "The man who had a car crash?"

I slowly nodded.

She looked down to her white shoes, hesitating before answering. "He's not doing so good, all I know is that the glass that had penetrated near his chest caused a fatal injury to his heart"