Prologue

Have you ever wondered what happened to the world? How we few survivors still hold on today? How it all began? You would be right to wonder these things although many have forgotten or choose to forget. I can't say that I blame them though considering how everything changed, but unlike them I remember everything. I remember the fear, the hate, the death, I remember the day it all began. The day our world as we knew it died, taking nearly everything and everyone with it. I remember the day they realized that IT whatever IT was targeted the females of the population, kids were also easy prey, although the men were not immune. 

By the time they saw how bad it had gotten it was too late to stop the outcome, desperation became a deadly thing for those that survived the first years. For the rest of us it was just a natural part of daily life, desperate to stay alive, desperate to stay hidden, desperate to survive even if it cost us what little humanity we had left. The men were the most wildly desperate of all it seemed, without women to keep them in check they were becoming beastly and horrid, little to no humanity left in them. 

The women that did survive if you asked me were anything but lucky, coming in contact with any men where the result was often bloody if not deadly. Now some may say this doesn't seem all that bad that even with all the horror there had to be some good, right? That in itself makes me question your very own humanity. 

I guess I can understand the need for hope in this hopeless world, but for someone like me hope is a dangerous thing to wish for. For men this world is a thousand times easier to live in, but for unlucky me I happen to be one of the few remaining females of our species making my life a million times harder. My name is Sang Sorenson and this is my story of how it all began and more importantly...how I survived this new worlds desperation.