Chapter 53

Sang

I woke well rested the next morning to find Jess gone and a note on our little table, she'd even left me some strawberries for my breakfast. I ate the fruit quickly as I read that she had to be at the garden early today since they were planting new seedlings from the greenhouse. I had no idea this place had greenhouses but it would certainly help them get their plants started a bit easier before putting them in the garden. I went to check on the goat herd and Nightmare before turning them loose into the little pasture. I got to do my two hours of training with Raven, North and even Gabe who I was surprised to see had some decent skills in self defense. 

The one part I wasn't surprised in was he had been complaining the whole time about being too rough in our training, but he still stayed the full two hours. Gabe was the first to leave once training was over and Kayli called Raven inside, leaving North and I on our own. "Sang Baby do you want to go out with me?" North grunted suddenly and I grinned at his abrupt approach. "Of course I want to go out with you idiot, although I am a bit curious what you've got in mind?" I quizzed. After last night I was learning there was more to do inside the fence than I first thought, but there still wasn't much as far as I could tell.

 "Well the meat is running out fast so I was thinking we could go on a hunt together, I know it's not much... but if you want to go?" North shrugged as both Arrow and I perked up to the idea. "Well what are you waiting for, LET'S go!" I grabbed my bow and tugged at his arm as we headed for the gate. "I knew you liked hunting, but you seem a bit more eager to kill than usual." North said warily as I paused to stare back at his frown. "Are you kidding?! Any reason to get out of these cage walls you guys call a community is more than welcome." I state in exasperation. "The fence is not a cage Sang Baby." North retort as we made our way outside the South gate and I sighed happily once it closes behind us. 

"It certainly feels like one. I mean I understand keeping the citizens unarmed can help keep injuries minimum to none, but not even bothering to train them on how to defend themselves. North what happens if this place gets attacked like that other compound? You have high numbers in population but low numbers in actual offense and defense, if someone wipes those out the whole place is doomed." I shake my head sadly. North doesn't respond to my statement but he does frown at my words as we travel further into the trees. "So is Arrow going to be stampeding beasts towards us again?" North asks after a few moments of silence. 

"Actually, I was thinking on tracking down some prey ourselves. It's not as quick as Arrow bringing them to us but it is pretty fun, not to mention I get to test your tracking skills." I taunted as he easily rose to the bait and stormed ahead. I started setting snares along our path and North was quick to follow by placing some of his own. "Sang Baby, about what happened, are you really okay with, um?" North was suddenly acting shy, even though his delivery of it was a bit gruff. "You mean the making out part, or the part where you were beating yourself up over not wanting to stop?" I raised back as he shifted his weight uncertainly from foot to foot. 

"North Star don't ever beat yourself up over that, watching you suffer like that is not something I will ever be okay with. If you have something that's bothering you and it involves me I would prefer if we just talked it out instead of avoiding it, even if it leads to screaming our heads off at each other." I state firmly. "And if I ever upset you, feel free to set me straight and put me in my place." North agreed and I laughed lightly at him. "Like I don't do that already." I snorted back at him. "True." He chuckled back and I couldn't help staring at the grin on his face. The very sight of it made him even more attractive, which just wasn't fair with how stupidly attractive all of them already were.