Chapter 3

Three more years. Three more winters I had survived. I was sixteen at the time and besides the occasional beating from my 'mother' I was thriving in the wilderness. Then one day I returned to camp with the rabbits and birds I had caught in my snares, the feathers I was already planing to turn to more arrows. I paused when my father came to meet me, urgently telling me that he was going to give the town another try and that he would be gone for just a few days. 

I thought back those years to when he had returned from that very town with a bloody shoulder and had said we were never to go there again, now he spoke against his own words and I didn't know why. What I did know however was I was not about to be left behind this time, I knew he would not allow me to go so I kept silent. I cleaned the rabbits and birds, cooking and drying the meat. I didn't eat any of it however since I knew my 'mother' and sister would need the food while I was gone. 

I made as many arrows as I could as I loaded my quiver full to almost bursting, I slept restlessly that night as my mind whirled with my plans to follow my father. I was awake before him for once as we said silent goodbyes, I watched him leave waiting for some time before I grabbed my things and went to follow him. It was a good thing I was great at tracking from my years spent surviving off the land, also that my father was not as good at covering his tracks as I was. I only stopped once during the first day of walking to use the bathroom, nibbling on a single piece of dried turkey as I walked in the silence. 

I checked the map I had from time to time, taking note as we drew closer to the town and the route we took to get there. I found myself getting nervous as we drew closer, unsure what could be awaiting us. I quickened my step until my father was in my sights, notching an arrow into my bow, at the ready if any threat showed itself. I was shocked as I watched my father so carelessly walk out into the open as the tiny town came into view.

 I tensed but stayed quiet as I listened for signs of danger, relaxing slightly when I was met with nothing but birdsong. I was even more curious now as I eyed the overgrown streets of the town, the need to explore these new surroundings was a nagging one. I had never been here before but the place looked deserted, perhaps that was why my father walked in like he owned the place, but I knew that looks could be very deceiving. I watched my father head into the rubble of a building and wondered what interest it held for him, to me it looked of nothing useful to anyone anymore seeing how it was the most overgrown structure that I could see.

 The urge to follow him was present but the urge to explore was stronger as I looked to the opposite direction of where my father had gone. I didn't need to look at my map to know where I was heading as I silently moved further away, taking cover where it was provided as I moved more into town. I found what I was looking for exactly where I knew it would be, close to the outskirts of the small town, somewhat overgrown but still fully intact, a small little bookstore stood proudly. 

I silently put away my arrow and slung the bow comfortably over my shoulder, I surveyed the building until I found an open window and scrambled inside eagerly. I sighed as I looked at the walls full of books, letting loose a small giggle at the fact that this had been the first place in my mind. The thought that people broke into places for food and supplies and here I was breaking into a library for something new to read. Although I wanted to take as many as I could I knew that I had other places to stop before heading back to make camp, other things that I needed.

 I was also getting an eerie feeling the longer I stayed in this town, something just didn't feel right about it. A loud noise outside caught my attention, I grabbed the first two books I could reach and slammed them in my bag before shouldering it. I scrambled back out the way I had come, notching another arrow as I searched for the source of the noise. I almost sighed with relief when I saw that it was just a large dog rummaging around for something to eat in the bushes.