Chapter 66

Sang

The night had come and gone quickly after we had told the others of my plans and started to get everything ready for the mission. Jess invited to stay at the Blackbourne house along with Jay, Rocky and Will since it gave more room for all of them to have a bit of space. I had been the one to suggest them staying in the boys house instead of Jay's smaller cottage and reluctantly they had all agreed. I also had all the meat from my snares collected and checked by Arrow before sending it to Uncle for everyone's food while we were gone.

 I had the jerky I'd made and some things from the garden, Axel even gave me a few oranges from the orchard. They were ready to pick and when I asked why they were still on the trees he said the harvest was only a few days away, hopefully around the time we returned. "Alright Jess you've got control over what happens to the goats, now that the babies are born you don't have to check as often but make sure they're doing well and are eating, same with the moms." I list out as I load up Nightmare with my packed bags. "I will make sure they're alright. Be careful out there Sang, and take care of my brother for me, he's all the family I've got left." She whispered out as she wrapped me in a hug, I was quick to return her embrace.

 "Well I wouldn't say all the family, those boys of yours look ready to make you their family too. Don't worry about me or the boys, as long as I'm still breathing nothing is going to hurt them out there, nothing." I affirmed as we broke the hug and smiled to each other. "Well they're probably all waiting at the gate for you, I already said my goodbyes to them earlier." Jess sighed. "Take care Jess we'll be back in a few days!" I called my goodbyes as I mounted up on Nightmare and urged him forward. Arrow was running along beside us, now that the wound in his shoulder was no longer giving him troubles I kept his bandage off.

 When we got to the gate I pulled Nightmare to a stop and smiled at the waiting boys, sending a glance to where Roberts was standing. "All ready to go Pookie?" Sean asked as he stepped forward to draw my attention away from the older man. "Ready whenever you are." I raised back. "Then let's get f***ing going the sooner we get there and get the d*** stuff the sooner we can get back!" Gabe called as I urged Nightmare through the gate with the boys following behind us. I had reluctantly given the location of the house of horrors to Owen so he could hand it over to Phil in case a search party was sent for us. 

The only reason I wouldn't be bringing the cure ingredients back to the community would be because I was dead but if that did happen then at least the people could still have a chance if someone else brought the ingredients back to them. The destination I'd given was one of the houses across from the Riverview Memorial Park Cemetery, strange that the cemetery was more of a home to me than that house of horrors had ever been. It was a good 18 miles from the boys community home and considering it was well into the morning I was eager to get there quickly. I kept my bow at the ready for any threats along the way, until after hours and hours we came to streets I remembered clearly. 

"We're close." Victor stated softly and I nodded as I led the way past the stone arch I knew well. The houses across from it had seen better days, they were overgrown and abandoned. As we passed by each one I found myself thinking back to the people I'd seen living their lives here each day, I'd seen them many times on my way to and from school. The fact that most if not all of them were dead now made everything seem far more eerie as we made our way into what used to be my old yard. "Well, this is it." I whispered softly as I stared back at the house of horrors, the place I'd told myself I would never go back to.