Chapter 20

Nathan

Sitting in a padded horse wagon while I was perfectly capable of walking certainly wasn't my idea of impressing our female travel companion, but she proved to be very insistent on the matter. After a couple miles I had offered to let someone else ride while I walked, that idea was immediately refused by the audacious bird herself. She kept saying if I didn't shut up and listen she would cut her horse free and leave us all behind, I had then been ordered to obey by Mr. B and that was the end of that. 

I had to admit the wagon she made up was a fairly nice ride, the padded cushions helped so that I had little to no jostling of my wounds, same for the Doc and Luke. I was a bit surprised and even more miffed when after 8 miles Sang let Gabe ride her horse while she walked in front leading him, apparently she was tired of his complaining too. I couldn't help watching the way she kept a hand on her bow at all times always watching and listening to her surroundings. 

The crazy mutt of hers would run far ahead and then circle back to her side every now and then, she would pat or scratch his head before he took off ahead again. We took back roads and fields instead of major traffic areas, a few times we stopped for a quick break to use the bathroom and let the animals get a drink. After a few miles Gabe got over his complaining and let Sang ride while he went back to walking, surprisingly quieter than usual. Luke had fallen asleep and even the Doc was nodding off a little, and before I even knew what hit me I was conked out right along with them.

                                       Gabriel

Stupid f***ing horse. I did my best to not wince when I dismounted but the beast had such a broad back, I couldn't stand the saddle sore anymore. To make everything even f***ing worse Trouble gave me a knowing look before mounting back up without another word, didn't even offer to let me ride the wagon. I glared back at it only to find all three riders sleeping and I couldn't be mad at it anymore, Nate must be in rough enough shape like Trouble said if he was sleeping out in the open. 

We were about 5 miles from our destination when a sharp bark up ahead had Trouble stopping her horse in it's tracks. "What is it?" Nathan asked groggily, the sudden stop had been enough to wake the wagon riders. "Quiet, something's up." Her tone gave a stern order as we all fell into tense silence. "What?" North grunted. "That's Arrow warning me." She replied curtly as she notched an arrow in her bow scanning the trees in the direction the sound had come from, we were quick to draw our own weapons.

 "Just be careful what you're shooting at, any of you shoot my pet and I'll put an arrow through your chest." She snarled, just then her mutt came running straight towards us with his tail tucked between his legs, he ducked behind us with a whine. "Be ready to shoot something sick is chasing him!" She called as she kept her bow drawn back and scanned the woods, we were quick to oblige. There was some crashing through the bushes and suddenly a tiny looking piglet no more than 20 pounds dashed out, running straight for us. 

Nightmare reared up with a scream and how Trouble stayed on him without using her hands or the help of a saddle I don't have a clue, but she still got a shot off before any of us could. We hadn't been expecting such a small threat so our reactions were more sluggish than usual but North and Mr. B got off a shot each before it finally fell over dead, far too close for comfort. Trouble was talking softly to her stallion as she helped get him calm before dismounting and checking on the mutt. "Good boy Arrow, yes you are." She cooed at him as she scratched his ears and put a quick kiss to his muzzle, the mutt ate it all up with a wag of his tail.