Chapter 23

Sang

I woke to a wolfish snout nuzzling my face with a whine, it wasn't the worst wake up call I'd had. The sun was dimly lighting up the dark in the early hours and I figured it would be a good time to go check my snares. I lowered Arrow to the ground before throwing my bags down and climbing off the roof myself, ignoring the dead men below. I could see North and Silas watching me from their guard posts but I didn't really care as I headed for my traps. I found a dozen of the snares full, I got 8 rabbits and 4 squirrels but one squirrel didn't pass the smell test from Arrow so I burned it's carcass and took the healthy ones.

 I skinned and gutted them before heading back to the campfire, all the boys were up when I got back. We cooked up the three squirrels and three of the rabbits for breakfast, cutting up two apples that we shared as a group. The rest of the rabbits I used to make jerky over the fire, knowing it wouldn't spoil so quickly. When the meat was dried I packed it away as Owen put the fire out and everyone grabbed their things, we left that campsite with three more guns than we arrived with and a little extra ammo. We were heading for the Franklin state forest in Sherwood Tennessee and I was eager to get there before dark. 

We trekked on for almost 10 miles before stopping for a break, I stretched my legs for a bit before mounting up again. Nathan decided to walk a while and even Luke and Sean hobbled outside of the wagon for a mile or two before climbing back in. We were traveling good when I smelled the scent of rain in the air, quickly followed by the darkening clouds as they rumbled a warning for the storm to come. "That doesn't look too good." Kota called out and I quickly agreed as I urged Nightmare on faster. 

The rain started to pour down as I got us under an old bridge, my clothes were a little wet but not too bad, the guys who had been a little slow were completely soaked as they crowded under the bridge with us. "Well that was fun." North grumbled as he slipped his shirt off and tried to wring the water out, I got a look at some muscle before I turned my attention back to the rain. The thunderstorm came down hard with heavy rain all around us and the roar of the thunder, I kept Nightmare calm by muffling his ears with some old towels. The stormed passed over about 20 minutes later and we continued on our way, we made decent time and entered Franklin state forest about 4:30 in the afternoon.

 We traveled into the trees a ways before picking a spot to camp as I turned Night loose to graze and called Arrow over as I headed off to find a decent tree and maybe something to eat. I picked a large oak about 350 yards from where the boys were camping since it had large enough branches for Arrow and I to sleep comfortably on. I dropped off my bags at the base of the oak before heading off for a hunt with Arrow trotting along at my side. I hadn't gotten far before I realized we were not exactly alone on our little excursion, I noted the fact Arrow didn't seem overly concerned and sighed my annoyance.

 "You know, it's not nice to spy on people, especially when those people could put an arrow between your eyes!" I called behind me as I turned an leaned against a nearby tree as the boy stepped out from his hiding and I met those steel eyes head on. "How did you know I was following?" Owen voiced curiously, his tone seemed the tiniest bit impressed with me. "Like I said before, you guys don't really meld well with the forest around you, your very loud." I shrugged to his frown. "I didn't make a sound." He tried defending so I figured I'd explain it easier for him. 

"You didn't speak yes but you didn't have to, for me to hear you. The way you walk the dead leaves and twigs you step on give away your position, the same way that if I stand quietly I can hear your breathing if I'm listening hard enough. You may think you're being silent but you still have a lot to learn about moving and understanding your forest surroundings." I replied honestly. "And who is it that I shall be learning this from, Miss Sang?" now his tone was a bit condescending and I didn't appreciate that one bit.