Chapter 55

Sang

The next few hours were restless ones for everyone, but most of all poor Jess since she refused to leave Jay's side. I took short naps in the waiting room when I wasn't checking on Jay and Jess, but the whole night was a bit rough for all of us. I was a bit surprised when two others joined the party standing guard over Jay, both of whom Jess had introduced to me in passing. One was a brunette guy named Rocky, the other was Will who I had learned was Kayli's younger brother. I watched the group of 4 in the tiny medical room, the way they were around each other, I filed it all away in my mind as I went back to the waiting room.

 "Still camping out Pookie?" Sean asked as he took a seat beside me. "Whether the outcome here is good or bad I have to see it through, at the very least for Jessica's sake." I sighed out in return. "He's lasted a lot longer than most of our snake bite victims, whatever you gave him seems to be helping." Sean's smile of approval made me nod back in return. "It's still early on Sean, the initial attack might have been halted or slowed but he still has the venom in his system, you're a doctor you know what the effects can be." I sighed back. "Internal bleeding is one I'm fairly worried about, if it gets too severe..." Sean trailed off. "We'll lose him even with my venom deactivator." I finished as he nodded. 

"How do you know so much about snake bites anyway?" Sean asked curiously. "A few years ago I went through a phase of interest in snakes, read every book I could on them. When I learned about the venomous one's and how their venom works I concocted a mix of different herbs that did the opposite of what the poison did." I explain with a shrug. "What do you mean?" Sean quizzed in wonder. "Well the poultice paste is made of things that draw out or extract the poison, it can't really hurt you since it's not inside your body but is more topical. The drink mix is a bit more difficult, it consists of herbs that counteract the poison and some of the effects it might have on or in the body. The town I used to live by had plenty of snakes and bite victims for me to test my concoction on, that's how I learned it was a 50/50 chance at life or death." I state as he studies me carefully.

"There's something else though, isn't there Pookie?" Sean asked as he cocked his head towards me. I sighed but nodded as I rolled up my left pants leg to reveal the small indented scar there, unless you really looked it was just another scar among many. "I don't know how a water moccasin got into Iowa or got lose from somewhere but it did, and I became one of the snake bite victims. I treated my own wounds and suffered out the pain for a few days while drinking my mixture of herbs. It wasn't a severe bite but it still left me with lingering pain for a few months, it doesn't hurt constantly anymore but it does have an occasional painful flare up." I explain before rolling my pant leg down again.

 "You really have been through more than we could ever know." Sean sighed out as he placed a gentle warm hand over top of my own. "Just lucky it wasn't a rattlesnake, not many survive those even with my little drink mix." I whispered out. "Still you have more medical knowledge than most civilians, we might just make you a nurse yet Pookie." Sean smiled slightly. "How many nurses make patients for the doctors to treat?" I raise back. "Oh yeah, I heard from Dr. Roberts that you had a run in with Jade, she's got a broken nose now." Sean chuckled out. "Good." I huffed, the b**** deserved it. "Now maybe her looks will match her vile personality." Sean agreed and I smiled back at him. 

"Hey Pookie, do you want to help me with something? It can be our little date if you're interested?" Sean hummed out. "Right now?" I voiced as I glanced toward Jay's room with a frown. "We've both done everything we can for him right now, why not do something why we wait?" Sean murmured as he squeezed my hand before letting go. "Okay, what did you want my help with Dr. Sean?" I questioned as he grinned and stood before motioning me to follow him. I reluctantly left my post as I followed him through the hallways, my curiosity at where he was taking us was spinning around in my head.