BAD BLOOD

Why was the world upside down?

My brain needed a minute to understand I was the one who wasn't the right way up and that I was going to die. Cold, body numbed, and in shock, I took little short gasps of air, eyes roamed in the dark as I tried to grasp the reality.

The smell of fuel and metal filled my nostrils. Nothing withstood the impact; everything I saw appeared shattered, crushed, or smashed. In front of me, everything shone in yellow and red. Massive flames bellowed in the wind. The smoke came my way, making me cough violently; I choked and screamed, at least it's what I assumed I did, but my mouth remained shut, and my eyes wide open as the other car burnt.

They burnt right in front of me. I watched them perish, hopeless. Unable to move, I witnessed their end.

Who got me out of the car?

When did the ambulance arrive?

Everything I know is what others told me.

My eyes fluttered open hours later to a hospital room's beige ceiling.

I laid paralyzed by the neck brace and the bandages around my chest down to my waist. I could only let my gaze travel around the room. My right leg and arm were in casts; I was an official casualty of my stupidity.

The smell of smoke, plastic and the stench of melting flesh still present strolled within the walls of my swollen nose before gliding down my lungs. Even the hospital's aseptic scent could not compete with it. An automatic cough for survival followed to expulse the odor, which stagnated in my mouth.

I felt like a cannibal; an overpowering desire to puke filled my stomach, making me mentally lurch forward when I could not psychically. The accident signified the end of my relationship with meat.

"Jane, Jane, can you hear me? Listen, Honey; your dad booked a flight; we're sending you to Abby's."

Rebecca spoke fast; her voice reverberated in my ears like echoes. All I understood was they were sending me into exile to my older sister Abby, and my dad, as usual, took care of everything.

"Mom, the car, the people," I muttered.

"Listen, Jane, you- they-they're dead."

"Mom, no, no."

The tears stabbed my cheeks, drying instantly and mummifying me in stillness; my cries were mumbles as though someone had come and cut my vocal cords. Bruised face, I barely could mimic the expression of a whimper.

My heart halted and then shifted gears, speeding up as I realized what had happened and what I had become.

Murderer.

"Honey, don't say a word to anyone. Whatever happens, even if it's a nurse who asks, you don't recall a thing, okay. Okay?"

Assassin.