사랑해*

*I love you

All the warning signs are light

All the warning signs are light. Still, I start the engine.

As we ride through the traffic, I recall the first time I met her. Like most athletes, we got drafted to the same high school, and then we both got into KNSU [Korean National Sports University]. Soo Ae remained there, and I switched.

When people see us, they imagine a fairy tale romance, but it wasn't exactly like that. Between students, we went out. Of course, I had my swimming buddies, and Soo Ae had her archery girlfriends. We met at the same bars, Noraebangs [Karaoké] Soo Ae's friends began to date me.

Before I knew it, I was the only single guy, girls came, but I kept turning them down; with the pressure from some Sunbaes, I started to date anyone except Soo Ae. I went out with a tennis, handball, and football player before Soo Ae attacked me.

"Neo, na an mwyo?" [ don't you see me?]

I have to admit I was dumbstruck at the time.

"Pardon," I asked, not sure about what she was referring to though I knew I had to be sure.

"Aren't I pretty?" Soo Ae asked as she stood to steps on the stairs above me.

"You are," I replied, looking at my wristwatch, realizing she made me late and that the coach would have me doing lapse.

"Then how come you don't notice me?"

How not to notice her?

In fact, I only saw her, but Soo Ae seemed out of my league. She was the only girl I saw who I did not have the guts to approach. Also, one of my Sunbaes had made it clear that the archer was his to catch.

Soo Ae wasn't a girl supposed to be interested in me, but apparently, she was. It made me happy; she wooed me with her confident personality and delicate intentions. I don't know if it's a deformation due to seeing girls who are fierce competitors, but I like girls who never give up.

This trait is like kryptonite for me now; I wish Soo Ae would give up on me.

We arrive in my area, and before we go up to my place, I stop to buy some chimaek [ chicken+ beer (maekju)=chimaek]. After a competition, you're usually hungry, and if she isn't, my stomach is crying famine.

Soo Ae grabs some soju. Why? I know, and I don't like the reason behind it.

"I don't think it's a good idea; I don't want to bring you back, drop-dead drunk."

She smiles and grabs them anyway.

This girl is the real Soo Ae, the one the journalists don't know, she's stubborn and does whatever passes through her head regardless, but she isn't reckless.

It's like she has this limit that reels her back into a perfect model of society. I envy her. The rope which attached me to the community appears to have snapped.