LENS

Open

Open.

A simple order and eyes flick open.

White.

It's the ceiling. I try to cough, but my mouth is blocked, people are yelling. A figure hovers over me.

My heart stresses, what is he doing. I can't breathe.

A minute later, I regain normal respiration; the oxygen mask relives me.

"Oh, my God, Jane, it's a miracle," aunt Salomé says.

This is an unexpected scenario. Why is aunt Salomé here?

Why am I in this room?

Where's Rebecca and Travis?

Where are Mona and Brad?

There's someone else that my mind tries to recall in vain, I can see his face clearly, but I don't know his name.

"Oh, Jane, you gave us such a fright. Mona will be delighted when she hears this; she'll probably hop on the first plane."

Though I want to listen to what aunt Salomé says, it's hard for me to stay awake.

My eyelids close, I feel aunt Salomé's hand on my forehead, and I fall back asleep. When I wake, it's Aina, our maid, that I see by my side.

I've known her for years, Aina is part of the family, but she isn't exactly the person I expect to see.

Why isn't Rebecca here?

Aina calls the doctor, who comes and checks my vitals with him. There's another woman. I know this type of face; she's a psychiatrist.

These people have a particular expression, a neutral and opaque face, neither comforting nor off-putting.

They wait a few minutes, and Travis arrives. He's different his not wearing a suit; he looks like he was on vacation.

"Hey, Ava, how are you, baby?"

Travis speaks like I went out to fetch the newspaper, and I just came back inside for his morning coffee.

"How are you feeling, Jane?" The woman asks.

"I," my voice is a whisper.

"Jane, can you blink once to say yes and twice to say no?" The other doctor asks.

The psychiatrist nods. The doctor approaches, "Jane can you see my hand?"

I blink once.

"Do you feel something when I do this?" I see him touch my fingertips. He rubs my thumb, but I don't feel a thing.

He touches my index.

I blink.

He does the same on every finger and my toes.