TRIO

Brad's eyes grow big as he sees me

Brad's eyes grow big as he sees me. I can't tell whether he is glad or not; his gaze travels and hovers over the ensemble of my body, which appears to captivate him.

His perplexed stare reminds me I'm not a blooming flower but a chunk of whole wheat dough. No, even better, imagine a fridge with a blonde wig on top, hold that picture. Well, that's the closest description I make of myself.

"Jane, it's wonderful to see you" Brad hugs me as though he recovered from the Titanic shipwreck, and I feel it, the warmth of his arms as he murmurs, "I missed you," before regaining his seat.

Sleepless, the pouches under my eyes even have levels. Mona omitted to inform me Brad would be here. So I came as I am with my oversized gray t-shirt and slim gray pants; basically, I resemble a Tom without Jerry who swallowed a tank of helium or who ate Jerry whatever you prefer.

Even my cousin's eyes are full of shock as I take a seat; what surprises me is Brad's puppy stare. It's difficult to believe he still shelters some sentiments despite my weight and the neglected appearance.

Even though not everyone appears to have popped out of a drama series in Korea, looks are everything.

Cosmetic stores are everywhere, and the products are cheap.

1+1, free samples, jumbo packs, discounts, one has no excuse to ignore their face or any other part of their body.

The same goes for the wardrobes; with styles changing every week, a two hundred dollars piece can be sixty dollars the next. People look great here even when their bank account is crying famine.

Despite my attire, Brad looks at me with the same mellow eyes as before. Why is he doing this?

I'm not that girl anymore. I've seen the shit; why does he like me?

What have I done to deserve this? Brad deserves better, someone beautiful in and out, someone like Mona.

Why doesn't he notice her?

My eyes shift to Mona; she's smiling, but I can tell she has seen it too, and my heart breaks for her. She's better than me in every aspect; life is so unfair.

"Wow, I can't believe we're reunited," Brad says with a grin too big for the morning brunch we're having in this hype café close to Gangnam.

Brad hasn't changed much; he still has baby skin, white teeth, and dimples. With his fake glasses, a pink polo shirt, and navy blue cropped pants, he looks like vanilla ice cream with all your favorite toppings.

From the corner of my eye, I glance at Mona; she wants to sink her teeth into him.

It's amusing, I acknowledge all of Brad's qualities, but I'm not attracted to him. Can someone explain?

However, I trust him.

Brad knows what I did; he came to visit me in hospital, absorbed by the guilt of having let me drive that night and for supplying me with Nirvana Blue.