넘사벽*

*unclimbable wall, something that can't be overcome (slang)

What am I doing?

I don't know, but I'm doing it.

I'm pulling this woman's lifeless body with all my might.

What is my intent?

Am I really saving this woman?

I concentrate on swimming because it's the only thing to do.

The police are waiting on the riverbank. The paramedics are there too, and they immediately place her on a stretcher.

A perfect déja vu, except this time the woman's eyes don't open.

I climb into the ambulance.

"Do you know her?" The paramedic asks.

"Aniyo [no], I don't know this person."

I'm not in denial; it's the truth. I have no clue who the person on the stretcher is, and I never did.

No, I thought I knew and understood, but I was wrong.

The paramedic places a bandage on her head; there's a weak pulse she needs surgery.

As soon as we arrive, they take Jane to the block.

A doctor checks on my state in the emergency ward and then frees me.

I can leave, but I don't. My feet walk me to that place, the waiting room where family members sit.

What am I doing here?

I have no clue; I'm lost, and I start to assess the last 48hours.

Forty-eight hours ago, I had a lover, someone I learned to love beyond comparison. A woman whose persistent appearances in my life made me believe our encounter was destiny, a divine plan to grant me happiness.

Forty-eight hours later, I discover that my so-called fate was a Makaveli ploy, in which I don't know what twisted intent. The woman I loved is now a murderer, the killer of a loving mother, father, and brother.

A nurse stops in front of me, "Peojabun, are you okay? Can someone bring me a bin?"

I vomit again and again.

I want to die; the gun had two bullets, one for the driver and one for me. I should try to find it and kill myself.

I can't live on with this sin and feeling of having betrayed my family and myself.

It's her fault.

An hour later, her parents arrive; both of their faces seem grave. The redheaded woman is hysterical; she follows every person coming out of the blocks, whereas the man sits a few rows in front of me.