용서*

*Forgive

More than a year has passed; I resumed my swimming career differently

More than a year has passed; I resumed my swimming career differently. The media exposure of the case made it impossible for me to stay in Korea.

I didn't assist the trial, and I was in America when the verdict came, and I received 90 million won [79 776 USD] compensation money, representing 30 million won for each victim. It's what my lawyer asked for, and I'm surprised the Austen's accepted or that they possessed that much money.

All the family I have from here to Mongolia, which evaporated, suddenly reappeared to support me. Distant relatives remembered my existence.

We all know how shallow people can be, but when it's your blood that's cunning and kissing up to you, one truly feels alone.

And I've never been so lonely; it's emptiness so thick that I doubt I'll be seeing the end of it in this lifetime.

To be honest, I don't care about the money; it doesn't change reality. So I gave my uncle 30 million, and I wanted to give the rest to my gran, but she refused. Now it's blocked in an account; I don't live off the compensation as I am a full-time assistant instructor for the National swimming team comity.

One can say I'm living comfortably; I don't beat my pockets in search of money or slide my hands in all the hollow parts of my couch to see if I can find the 5₩ I dropped.

Weirdly, many people believe money can solve all issues, but they can't be more wrong. It can't bring someone back.

I find myself spacing out sometimes; I haven't been able to put my emotions in order.

I lost my feet when Brad Nixon called me to say Jane woke up.

How am I feeling?

I take it a step at a time. I know the whole truth now. Brad told me how Jane's mom disguised the accident and smuggled her daughter out of the country. How, during all the years which followed, guilt consumed Jane to the point they hospitalized continuously.

I finally got the reasons which explain the various disorders Jane had. He also revealed to me how Mona Austen played on her cousin with the messages she sent. Brad excused himself, estimating what Mona did was his fault.

These days the guy has almost become a friend. Brad calls me to see how I'm doing; he's incredibly polite. It's as though the man feels obliged to be that way with me.

What shocks me is to think meeting Jane was a coincidence. I mean, the girl wasn't searching for me. Jane only had the victim's names, and she knew nothing about me. It's hard to believe she just happened to be running on the Hangang River, that she needed to stand across from me on the side tracks, and of all the tutors of Seoul, I was the one chosen to teach her. When I think about it all, I get migraines.

Having been close to Jane, I know for a fact our encounters weren't calculated. Perhaps it's underestimating her evilness, but I can't slam that default on her back.