짝사랑*

*Unrequited love

I'm a fool.

I spent years chasing waterfalls, I've plunged countless times for Jane, I know she can't love me, but still, I hope.

Love doesn't play tricks on us, we're the ones who prefer lying to ourselves, and when it blows up, we blame love. I can't explain what I feel for this woman; it's an irresistible desire to protect her. An unrestrainable wish to have her for me.

Fool.

Mona's feelings were there Harlem shaking in front of me, but I never saw them because I didn't want to; I didn't desire them to deviate me from mission Jane.

I've been thinking about her, Mona. I mean, perhaps I shouldㅡ.

I don't have time to finish my reflection as my bedroom door bursts open, making me jolt from my bed like a cheating husband.

I grab my glasses from the nightstand to look at the figure which approaches.

"Don't you knock? You just walk into men's room like this."

"Oh, Brad stop, it's not like your parents are here."

"How did you get in?"

"Your maid."

I look at my watch; she should have finished. I'll have to pay her for the overtime. Mia has been doing it a lot lately; she isn't trying to make me spend all these extra hours on purpose, is she?

"Yo, Brad."

"Yah,ㅡeh, why are you here?"

We haven't really spoken about what happened in my car, and at other times Jane was there. All conversations about the incident found themselves aborted. Now we're alone in my room; I'm not feeling this.

"It's you, isn't it?"

"Me what?"

I don't know why, but I feel offended.

"You're the one sending the messages and stalking Jane," Mona says, stepping up to me.

"Wha-what are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb, Brad. No one else knows Jane's secret like you. You're the only person who can do this."

"Mona, what is this crazy shit you are talking about?"

She steps back, "you don't know?"

"No, no, I don't."

"Someone is stalking Jane, taking photos of her and Mr. Kim. He photographed them while they made out in her pool.

"What, Jane made out with Tae Won?"

My facial expression seems to reassure her as she realizes if I am not aware of that, then it isn't me. I fall back on my bed with one thought: Why does Jane do this to me?