LIE TO ME

I don't know what I'm doing here; I was surprised to see the calls and the message when I switched on my phone

I don't know what I'm doing here; I was surprised to see the calls and the message when I switched on my phone. After that night, I thought Tae Won wouldn't want to see me again. I was wrong. Tae Won called and sent me this message asking to meet him.

I didn't reply, but his message wasn't one waiting for an answer, but an action.

And so I'm here in advance, to tell him I can't see him again.

I omitted to tell my parents, who gave me a tip on the hit and run. Since Rebecca's explanation Travis, yes, my dad is Travis now, seems to be avoiding Rebecca and me; she's a little different now. I know my gaze upon her has changed though I despise what she did.

Rebbeca used all the influence and power she could muster to get me out of that situation, and I'm condemning her because it's wrong. But at the same time, which parent with the ability to do something for their child wouldn't have done the same?

My mother hasn't become a hero. The revelations don't change the fact she spent years not saying a word about the incident. And it's not like I'm going to turn myself in either. I'm still a weak coward. The only thing I can do now is not meeting Tae Won again, no matter the feelings which had welled up for him.

I was a wreck; thank goodness Mona is a makeup pro. Otherwise, it would be a corpse Tae Won would be meeting. With my oversized baby pink knitted sweater and slim pants, I look like walking cotton candy. I shouldn't have listened to Mona on my outfit, but it's too late now.

"Jane, annyeong."

I look up, he hasn't changed, but his facial expression has. His lips have lost their lock. He smiles, and it's contagious. I want to follow, but I can't.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Tae Won asks.

This attitude is new. Mr. Kim, the tutor, isn't as friendly.

"I'm good; I just finished a Yuja cha."

"Wow, you must have come early. Sorry to have made you wait."

It's funny, but I feel Tae Won is serving that confusing Korean courtesy, making you wonder what you represent to the guy. I cut short.

"Sorry about last week's lessons; I was ill."

Tae Won frowns with concern, "Oh, are you feeling better?"

What's up with him? Tae Won's behavior makes me uneasy; I place my hands under the table as I feel sweat making its way to the surface.

"I'm fine," I say, looking away.

"About last week, here," Tae Won poses an envelope on the table.

"What is this?" I say as my eyes settle on the small white envelope.

"I didn't give you a lesson; I don't see why I should get paid."

"Your honesty honors you, but keep the money. It was short notice," I say and push the envelope to his side of the table.