BLACKMAIL

"Jane, can I come in?"

Mom takes my lack of response for a yes and comes inside my room.

"Here's another towel."

She hasn't asked about Tae Won, our relationship isn't worse than before, but whereas old Rebecca would have bashed the bush, here mom is treading on eggs. I know she doesn't want to seem nosy though she's dying for me to tell her something.

"Sorry, I didn't want you to meet Tae Won this way."

"Is that his name?"

I nod as she takes the towel from me and starts to dry my hair.

"The red of your hair is appearing. Do you want me to book you an appointment to dye it blonde again?"

Rebbecca is making mad efforts.

"No, I want to give them some rest."

"He's very handsome, your boyfri-, I mean Tae Won."

She's really trying.

"Tae Won at SNU Law, he's 24."

"I see, he must be smart, I wonder-," she stops.

I know what she wants to say, how can such a smart man pick a girl whose brain is on vacation 300 days, on maintenance for 60, and in the world of living for five days per year.

"I don't know what he sees in me."

"But you get along."

"It seems like it," I reply.

Of course, I leave out the part where I should tell her that Tae Won is the son of the couple I killed that he'll kill me if ever he finds out the truth. I'm scared to death about what's happening. It's wrong in all the laws of the universe and that I'll burn in hell for the next million years.

Mom doesn't ask other questions, and she doesn't need to. I'm acting like a typical 20-year-old. I go to college, hang out with friends, and now she thinks I have a boyfriend. The normality of my life reassures her as she imagines I've left Nutcase Ville.

Taw Won could be anyone; she's just happy that he's contributing to making me appear as an ordinary citizen.

I doubt she would relax if ever she finds out who Tae Won is.

My phone buzzes:

I'm home; sleep tight.

Tae Won isn't the type of guy who sends sweet messages with hearts, emojis, or tender words, but he tries and replies on the dot. He's Mr. reliability.

The messages are short, but it reassures me, I reply:

I'm going to bed. See you tomorrow.

I don't go mushy either; I feel that style would tint the purity of what we are living.