MOM

Eight months

Eight months.

Eight friggin months it takes me to start walking, I haven't entirely recovered. My arms and legs do some freestyling sometimes, but I can move on my own.

And guess what the first thing I do is?

"Oh, my God, Jane."

I'm meeting Rebecca.

Rebecca has haunted my thoughts, and if I'm walking again. I can almost give her credit for my desire to scream at her was more potent than anything else.

"You look good," she says, wiping the tears from her face.

This woman is someone new. Mom never gives this type of compliment, but people change.

My mom seems to have undergone an extreme makeover; she's very talkative. It's scary to think she had to go to prison for us to have a healthy conversation.

"I made all these children's clothes for Toby. Do you think Abby will like them?"

Travis told me the shock was so intense for Abby when she found out about Rebecca's indictment and the whole story that she almost lost the baby. Abby hasn't come to see mom; the thought makes me cry. My family was already dysfunctional; now, we are officially suitable for scraps.

"Yeah, you can give the clothes to me. I'll pass them on."

I said I wanted to scream at her, but here seeing my mom's thinned face and hollow eyes, all I can do is cry.

"Jane, honey, don't cry," mom says, stretching out her hands. These hands, which always kept a reasonable distance from me, refusing me my mother's affection, are waiting for me to grab them.

I hold them.

"Why, mom? Why did you do this?"

"Because you are my child, and if you strayed away, it's because this mother of yours preferred to be drinking Dom Perignon in some gala filled with tray pickers instead of being a mother. It's my fault, Jane."

"You didn't drive the car, youㅡ."

"No, Jane, you were a minor who stayed out late, took illegal substances under the nose of someone supposed to watch over you. It's my fault. Also, I'm the one who disguised the accident."

I never thought my mother's sense of justice was this high.

For the first time since my birth, I'm proud of being Rebecca Hoffman's daughter.

"Don't worry about me, Jane, I'm fine. I feel good, you know. Do you know what I thought when I first got here? You might find it contradictory, but I can breathe. For the first time in 30 years, I feel free, Jane."

It's weird, but I understand her, all these years, she played a role in a series she hated being in, and the show ran for thirty years with re-runs of my father's humiliating infidelities.