손*

*Hand

Almost 12 million people live in Seoul; amongst these citizens, there are a little over 270 000 foreigners

Almost 12 million people live in Seoul; amongst these citizens, there are a little over 270 000 foreigners. The odds of meeting the same person twice, especially a waéguk saram [foreigner], has many zeros behind it, still there she stood.

Vip, museon [VIP my butt]

What was she doing on the subway?

My prayer of not meeting this woman again fell on closed ears. When she looks at me, I feel it's a challenge that I lose if I turn away.

Everything about the girl seems out of place; somehow, she doesn't fit the picture. This woman isn't supposed to be here; the more I stare, the more the theory seems convincing.

There's something wrong with her, it's past noon, and it's hot, but her face shimmers with sweat more than the people around her.

Even from where I stand, I can see her hair curling as the moist spreads as though someone just fished her out of the Hangang river again.

A black t-shirt and slim black pants, the contrast with her pale skin is the expression night and day.

The train arrives at my side, I get in and find a spot where I can still observe her as it drives off, and there, she falls.

No, she faints.

What's wrong with this woman?

If someone else saw what follows, they would say that I'm crazy. I get off the next stop, and I run back to the station, where people are waiting for an ambulance, and I remain too.

There's no need for me to look at my wristwatch. I say chalgayo [bye] to my job interview, which will start in ten minutes.

"It wasn't meant to be," I mutter to myself. Finding a position as an intern is hard, and I'm throwing away my chance.

A sunbae [senior] went out of his way to get me this appointment, and what I do? I run to the side of some unconscious stranger who didn't even ask for my help.

Pabeo [fool].

I approach her; she opens her eyes, which dart as though they're searching for something.

Once again, I kneel beside her; I don't know why I stretch out my hand and grasp hers to the passer's surprise.

"Are you okay?" I ask in English.

She closes her eyes, and I don't let go. I hold her hand till the paramedics arrive.

"Do you know her?" The ambulance man asks I'm stuck, and without realizing I'm nodding, and a few seconds later, I'm in an ambulance again.

What on earth are you doing, Kim Tae Won?

I've lost it.

What am I going to say when they'll ask me who I am to her?