MIDNIGHT SWIM

I drop Jane off; her house is all dark; there are no lights

We climb the few steps leading to her porch, "Isn't there someone home?"

"No, my parents are at one of those events where they have to be present; otherwise, the earth will open up and swallow us."

My gaze travels on the massive building behind her, and I wonder if she's never scared of being alone.

"It's a big house."

"Yeah, it didn't come with his function. My father bought this one. He loves South Korea and considers it like his second home. We even have a swimming pool."

"Tchin-cha," Jane can't imagine how huge the revelation she made is.

"Yeah, do you want to see it?"

Jane's darting eyes followed by a lowered head tell me the words escaped her. Still, I answer, "em."

It's not that I don't want to see the pool. I'm even delighted, but I'm not sure if I should. A lot of things have happened; things have changed. I've changed, and so have some thoughts and opinions. Now the feeling of being alone with Jane in her house seems like a dangerous idea. Jane has all my trust; it's my motivations that scare me. A nervous smile is all I come up with, but her face relaxes, and she adds, " come on."

It's not the first time, I mean, women invite me, but I don't know why my heart is beating fast. We don't go inside but around the house to the swimming pool.

Jane turns on the backyard lights, and a festival of shades of blues highlights our faces.

"Do you want to swim?"

"Can I?"

Jane doesn't need to ask twice. I throw off my shoes and jump in with my clothes on, splashing Jane on the same occasion.

She cringes as the cold water hits her.

I swim in the water a minute while Jane walks around and follows me before floating to the surface and push my hair back, "don't you want to come in?"

Jane takes a step back, "It's freezing, no, and I can't swim, remember?"

I swim to her feet, and I look up at her, "I'll teach you."

"No."

The blunt answer leaves no room for negotiation; still, I insist.

"Come on, Jane; I thought you did things I couldn't imagine," I challenge her. This type of remark usually makes people react as it triggers their fighting spirit.

"That was before," Jane replies, but I can read she's fighting the temptation.

"Please."

The sweetest puppy faces follow my plea. It's my ultimate weapon, and apparently, it's hard to resist, Jane's quivering lips attest it.