TALENTED CRY

Talent

Talent.

I have none; Mona has her art, Brad has his music, even Rebbecca has her cello.

What do I have? Nothing.

Let me rectify; I have a talent for swimming in shit and stirring it.

I've made such a mess of things, and every day I sink more in-depth in my shit.

" 판소리" [Pansori], I read in the leaflet the girl gave to me with a packet of tissues.

"Jane, throw it away. It's probably some sect or something," Mona said, but before she could carry on complaining, the leaflet was folded and in my bag.

I don't know why I kept it nor why I'm standing in this room full of middle-aged women, aka ahjummas, for my first lesson of Pansori.

Impulsivity has struck again. I sing like a strangled cat, but here stands the talentless me, ready to stir a little more poop.

The person giving the lesson explains some aspects of the singing and the twelve originals madangs [tales], which people told initially. She tells us how she will teach us the basics, but we must find our voice within her teachings.

판소리는 무엇인가부터 개가 차근 오늘 설명을 해 드릴개요.

[I'll start today by explaining the detail of what Pansori is].

먼처 판소리는 판과 소리의 합성어인데요.

[First off, Pansori is a combination of the pan (a place where people gather) and sori (sound).]

한 사람의 소리꾼, 창자가 고소 이 박 가단에 맞추어서 아추 긴 이야기를.

[One singer called soriggun or jangja tells a long story following the beats of the drum.]

This explanation is for me since I'm the only foreigner in the room.

소리꾼 한 명이 여서 명이 됐다가, 모노도라마천럼.

The singer alone becomes several people like a monodrama.

She carries on explaining the types:

그중에 아니리라는 젓은 장단 없이 이야기를 한는 젓을 아니리라고 합니다.

Among these, the one called Aniri is played without a drum beat. We call it Aniri. So the soriggun tells the story of people's actions in the parts where the drum beats are absent. He or she will say someone did this or that. Pansori was very popular from the 14th till the early 20th century."

I have to admit she has managed to captivate me.

She starts to explain the gestures.

"A true Pansori singer has their style, every region of Korea as their on flow, some are fast and seem chopped up, some are slow, but a talented Pansori singer has their unique voice. Search for your voice."