SEOUL × SOULS

Do you know Seoul?

Do you know Seoul?

I thought I did, but I knew nothing.

My stay here was as though I came on vacation. As I already said, I fell in love with K-pop and K-drama before discovering Seoul.

K-pop and drama are like seeing a cute guy; at first, you're attracted by his appearance and style. Those two elements are what draw you to become interested. Then you get to know the guy, and you either fall in or hard out of your crush.

In my case, I'm falling in love with Seoul. It didn't appreciate the city before. I misunderstood it and took the city for granted. Despite our history, I love Seoul better now, for what it is.

I have to admit Tae Won has a lot to do with this, he takes me places where tourists and ex-pats never go, but tonight I don't get why he chose Dongdaemun, which is THE tourist trap.

"Jane, annyeong."

"Hi, Tae Won."

He frowns, "why?" Suddenly I panic, "ㅡeh, did I say something wrong?"

"You said Tae Won."

"Oh, I think I always call you like that. You permitted me to call you by your first name."

"Yeah, I know I did, butㅡ."

Tae Won is awkward; he looks at his shoes like a kid. What's going on? I do a brief recap of the situation:

- We're at Dongdaemun.

- And Tae Won asked me to meet him at the DDP Led rose garden.

- The night is warm, the lights are pretty, and Tae Won is handsome as usual. Did I miss something?

"I'm older than you," Tae Won says, warping me out of my thoughts.

"I know, what's the proㅡ."

There it hits me, no, it can't be. This guy can't seriously be expecting me to give him an Oppa. I must have a heck of an expression because he laughs nervously and slicks his hair back before saying, "nevermind, let's go."

We start to walk; there are a lot of tourists with their selfie sticks and couples. The led rose garden was supposed to be temporary, but it became popular, and so it now it's one of Seoul's smooching hot spots.

Why did Tae Won bring me here?

He bends his head a little to speak to me, "have you been here before?"

"Yep, I vomited just there, one night when I was drunk," I say and point at my puking spot's direction.

"Oh, I see," Tae Won says, lowering his head to stare at the steps he's taking. Tae Won seems disappointed. I wonder if it's because I've been here before or because of my trashy past. I don't know why, but there are moments where I don't want to shine in his eyes in any way what's so ever.