Ch 48

The next day, even before the sky lit, Pei Ying was woken by her alarm clark. She quickly climbed out of bed and washed her face. Song Nanchuan frowned as he watched her rushing. He started thinking that he really ought to have a talk with the production team.

Pei Ying didn’t even have time to eat breakfast. She grabbed a piece of bread and headed into her assistant’s car. She slept a bit on the ride. Then she put on some foundation, and they arrived to the filming location.

Though there was just the slightest glimmer of light in the sky, the crew was already busy with preparations. After Pei Ying had her makeup done, she picked up her script to look over it. Again, today, she had several scenes with Mo Zhen. She didn’t want to be scolded as much as the previous day.

Pei Ying already knew her lines by heart. She was just afraid that acting opposite Mo Zhen, her demeanor would shrink again. When Mo Zhen arrived, she put on her thick skin and asked him to practice with her. Without any airs of arrogance, he agreed.

Their rehearsal could be counted as going smoothly. Mo Zhen even gave her some pointers. After she spoke with Mo Zhen, she pulled out the notebook she always carried around and wrote down all of his suggestions.

Mo Zhen glanced over at her notebook. “You keep this kind of thing?”

“Yeah.” Pei Ying smiled embarrassedly. “If I take notes, I can look over them at any time. As the saying goes, a good memory still can’t beat rotten handwriting.”

Mo Zhen simply nodded at her comment. After the two of them rehearsed their scene again, the director called for the shoot to begin.

The scene was indoors, at Zhao Yue’s manager’s office. Wu Yang, who had a growing interest in, or perhaps suspicions about Zhao Yue, had brought along his junior in search of her.

Despite heading into a high-class company office, Wu Yang still wore his slippers, a head of lazy hair sleeping on his head.

But his gaze left Zhao Yue on guard.

“Ah, who’d have ever guessed that I’d be seeing a big star like this.” Wu Yang’s sexy, thin lips lifted slightly, reminding Zhao Yue of an old, lazy cat that hung around outside the building. He approached her, his long, black bangs sweeping across his eyelashes. “Ms Zhao looks even better in real life than on the TV screen.”

Zhao Yue’s lip twitched slightly, as if she’d smiled. “And what’s the reason that Officer Gu is looking for me?”

Her question had been directed at Gu Sibo, but without giving him a chance to respond, Wu Yang said, “I’d heard that Ms Zhao was very dedicated to her work. For a previous role as a factory worker, you even went to work in a factory for half a month.” At this point, he brushed aside the hair in his face. Unobstructed, his eyes landed on Zhao Yue. “Then, for your role of a killer in Chasing the Wind, will you actually go out and kill someone?”

Zhao Yue’s eyes dropped just slightly, as if she found his question very amusing. “Do you think that’s possible?”

Wu Yag laughed. “That would be rather extreme.”

Outside the office, Zhao Yue’s manager knocked on the door. Zhao Yue looked to the door and got up, excusing herself, “I’m sorry, I still have work.”

As she walked out in her heels, the director called cut. “Pei Ying, your performance today is much better than yesterday’s. You didn’t get scared off when acting with Mo Zhen either. But Yu Kaize was sitting there like a block of wood. Do you think you’re a mascot?”

Yu Kaize, “….”

“I didn’t have any lines in this scene,” he defended himself. With a sneer, the director responded, “If you don’t have lines, can’t you let your expressions speak? Is that something I need to teach you? You sitting there is like having an ugly duckling sitting between two swans!”